I chickened out, couldn't cull her (SEE PG 6)

NurseELB

Songster
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Lacey, WA
Oh boy, this has been a heck of a ride! Skip to pg 6 for the most recent news, thank you!

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

12 month old red sex link. As far as weight ? Same as her 2 sisters

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Yesterday she spent all day laying next to the water. She is drinking large amounts of water. She is lethargic, letting me pick her up with little to no protest (unusual for her).

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

None whatsoever.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

She free ranges in my small backyard. The temperature is in the mid 70's. There is plenty of shade.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

She'll eat if I put food under her beak. She usually eats Layer pellets (Alber's) and has free access to oyster shell. She occasionally gets kitchen treats, but none in the last couple of days.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop is runny, but normal according to the "poo page".

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

All I've done is isolate her in our bathroom. I don't know what else to do!

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I really would like to treat her myself. Can't really afford a vet bill right now. Not to offend anyone here but there is only so far I am willing to go with her treatment. I will provide all the love and nursing I can, but there is only so much money I can spend.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I took a picture of her but I can't figure out how to post it. She is bright eyed and alert, comb looks good. Her tail is down, but not her wings. Her but is kind of pasty, but it's always like that for her.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

We have 3 birds, 2 Black stars and the Red star in question. They live in an 8 foot A frame coop that I never shut. The back, covered portion and the nest box are covered in hay (have never seen mites on them). They get up when they want, go to bed when they want, and have free roam of our backyard. They share the yard with our 2 dogs. The dogs are supervised at all times when in the backyard, and leave the chickens alone.

Any help y'all can provide would be much appreciated!!

7/10/09 Title edited for new info.

Last edited:
Looks like there should be a #11 in those questions: is she laying normally? You may be able to answer this better now that she's isolated.
She could have something stuck in her crop; see how it feels at different times in the day. Of course she could be eggbound or have a broken egg inside, if she doesn't lay for you. Any chance she got into some rat poison? Got any grumpy neighbors?

Thanks for your reply!
She's the bird that lays soft shells from time to time. I don't know it she's laying normally, haven't had an egg from her yet today. I did do a "rectal exam" and didn't find an egg. Her belly is soft. I am very afraid she's an internal layer and nearing the end. Still eating and drinking, though. Just won't get up and move around.
Oh, her crop feels normal to me.

has she been wormed? I have seen posts where that seems to drag them down. Any mites/lice?

I've never wormed them, but I don't see anything in her poo.
As far as mites or lice, Ive thoroughly looked her over and she's clean there, too.

OK, I did a little more research. As I understand it, internal layers never lay eggs; they are all ""laid" inside.

Here's an interesting article I found referenced on another thread about eggbound birds:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page3.htm

You could try the "enema" type approach and see if you can get it to come down, if she doesn't lay and you think this may be the problem.

Worms are also a possibility, as another poster said. She's on the ground, you have dogs, she no doubt eats earthworms and bugs -- actually she most likely does have some worms, but whether she has enough to make her sick is another question entirely.

Let us know!

yes the spinach thing is good as it has the calcium in it

WikiAnswers - Which vitamins are found in spinach Vitamins and Supplements question: Which vitamins are found in spinach? Spinach contains the following vitamins: A, C, E, K, Folate as well as Calcium, ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_vitamins_are_found_in_spinach - Cached - Similar

then I would worm her as it sounds like a case of worms

you could worm all the birds with wazine 17 ( it is 2 tbsp per gallon of waterand it will get the round worms

as you have not wormed them lately this is a good idea so as not to kill a large amt of worms at one time

THEN AFTER THE WORMING IMMEDIATELY FEED THE
WET MASH PROBIOTIC

FOR EACH BIRD FEED

3 tbsp of dry crumbles feed
4 tbsp of milk any kind
1 tbsp of yoguart
1-1000 mg of Vit E capsule cut end off and put in mix
1 Vit B complex crushed and put in mix
1 selenium tablet crushed and put in mix

feed this once a day for a week as it will correct the gut flora and the E.coli also in the birds gut

any questions email me

I'm becoming more convinced that she had a soft egg break inside her. She is sleeping A LOT but her appetite is very normal. She was asleep on my bed earlier and when I brought my lunch in she got up and walked over and started to help herself! I'm going to research therapies and start her on antibiotics. I appreciate all the advice, keep it coming! I'll keep you updated... For now I guess I have a house chicken, and so much for taking a bath!

I am curious
what will giving her antibiotic do for the soft shell thing?

any questions email me

having given the vit's wet mash treatment and others have used it
it is for the gut flora rebuilding and the E.coli and nervous system

Back
Top Bottom