I could just scream!

I'm concerned that as soon as the feathers are all grown out nice and fuzzy again, that it will be a huge temptation....
hmm.png

What can I use for them to pick at? They have a big run attached to their house with 24/7 access. It sits directly on the ground, so they can scratch away all they want. I've heard of hanging a cabbage in the house, but does that really work to help prevent boredom?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions....I hope I don't sound like I'm making excuses, because I don't intend that. I'm just really irritated with the SLW and want the nonsense to stop LOL....we've tried so many things and it all ends with the same problem....Biddy has a bare behind with some bloody spots (again).

Are you sure that it is ONLY the SLW??

bordom: Try hanging sseveral of the really large suet cake cages, stuffed (really stuff them) w/ greens, grass, fruit, old bread, raw liver, squash OR purchase those suet cakes that are mostly seeds, BOSS... in several places around the run..

Dig several huge clumps of grass/weeds/bushes and throw roots and all into the pen

Purchase a bag of 24% protein and feed it to them..

If you do 're-gift' the girl , PLEASE, PLEASE inform the person of her habits! It's only fair...

I confess to being the one who originated the grape-Kool-aid goop for feather picking. While it worked successfully on two of my cases, it proved worthless for my latest feather-picking victim, who also happens to be a regular victim and the subject of some of my other posts.

This latest problem concernes her naked, bald back in front of her tail feathers. She, like another of my hens, has developed a bad habit of picking out her own feathers, and once that starts, the others can't resist picking at her naked flesh, especially if any blood-rich pin feathers start growing in. It becomes a self-perpetuating process.

I tried the Vicks/grape Kool-aid goop. She ate it off. I tried pine tar. She enjoyed it less than the Vicks/Kool-aid goop, but she ate it off. The others kept picking at her back, too. It's red and raw, just short of bleeding.

Finally, today I looked up the pattern for a saddle, and got out the sewing machine and made her one. I made it out of a discarded car shoulder seat-belt pad, made out of faux lamb's wool. It was a perfect size, and when I installed it on her, it covered her bald back. She was enraged at first. I really thought she'd manage to yank it off, so intent was she with her beak targeting the elastic under her wings. But after a few minutes, she got used to it, and it remained in place. It doesn't impede her movements whatsoever, unlike some previous designs I'd come up with. It also will help keep her warm since it's still below freezing here. The originator of the pattern is to be commended. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=181223 (Edited to provide link to the pattern I used.)

If the pine tar doesn't work, and it's nasty, NASTY stuff, I urge you to try a saddle on her. It would prevent further picking and give the feathers time to re-grow. Once she's feathered out again, the picking problem should disappear. If you notice her feathers beginning to thin again, put the saddle back on for awhile. This is what I intend to do.

I think this problem is one of the most frustrating we have to contend with. But hey, we're smarter than chickens! We can lick it!

Last edited:
Azygous, I hope I didn't make you think I was irritated at you about the vaseline/koolaid powder mix...I wasn't!
smile.png
It was a novel idea, and I did notice my bantam took a little taste (she was curious about the shiny stuff on Biddy's feathers) and HATED it! So I'm sure it would work with some chickens.
smile.png

I wish I could put a saddle on Biddy, but it's her "fluff" that is being plucked...from her backside, starting underneath her vent. I'd love to figure out something to cover her up back there, but I figure it would get messy.
tongue.png

Someone asked if I was sure it was just the SLW doing the picking - yes, I've seen her at it. My only other chicken is a tiny bantam who has never shown any interest in picking anyone's feathers. I doubt she is strong enough to yank them out anyway...lol

If I give the SLW away, she'll definitely have a disclaimer with her "ad". I think it might do her some good to get pushed around in a larger flock of chickens, although I understand if no one wants to take that chance......I seriously doubt I would take in a chicken that has a picking habit!
hmm.png
I doubt I could bring myself to make her into dinner, but I don't care if someone else does.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....I may try the pine tar just to see what happens. If that doesn't work, then Betty is outta here for sure.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom