I could use duck tips

Songa

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2018
Hello. I have been taking care of my landlord’s ducks for about four months now and well I have a solid idea what I am doing. I admit I still have much to learn. This is my first time taking care of ducks and by far they are strang little creatures. But are adorable. Anyways I thought I could ask for some tips on ducks here. So if anyone won’t mind giving me some tips and things to look out for with ducks I would greatly appreciate it. ^_^

Make sure they always have access to water as they can choke if they don’t clear their nostrils. Where are they being housed? Are you letting them out? Pics of the pen? What feed are you supplying them? How many ducks?

This is their pin. I’m not sure on the food since my landlord buys it. But I can ask him when he gets home later. They get fresh water every day and they do get to come out every other day. The male who we had to separate from the girls due to some ingures he caused gets to come out on the days the girls don’t. I guess if there is anything thing I want to know well. One what are simple signs of aging in ducks? How much should they come out of the pin? Should we put the male back with them? Do they even need a male around to lay eggs? What are signs of ducks getting sick? What are other signs I should look out for as far as health goes? And we have ten ducks. Possibly nine females and one male.

Attachments

• 26227EA7-06FD-447A-89A0-F4F49419BB46.jpeg
    26227EA7-06FD-447A-89A0-F4F49419BB46.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 43CF43A4-9C5A-4D52-A866-FA8CF77ED314.jpeg
    43CF43A4-9C5A-4D52-A866-FA8CF77ED314.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
They don't need a drake to lay eggs at all, but my females love their drake. Might try him with the females again since it's getting into cold weather and waning daylight and see how he is with them.

Ducks a hardy birds as long as they have good feed clean as possible sleeping house and not kept in the their own poop inside of a nasty run. Sure doesn't look like that with the picture you have posted. for age I have 1 Muscovy duck who is 10 yrs old and by looking at her you'd never know, she doesn't lay any longer but still is very much a part of the flock .Signs of a duck getting sick are not eating , depressed, staying away from the rest of the flock, losing weight, feathers dull looking. They love to bathe but isn't all that necessary in winter as long as they can have someway to clean themselves.

Last edited:
One what are simple signs of aging in ducks?
I'm not sure every duck is different.
How much should they come out of the pin?
Is their "pin" a coop or a coop with a run?
If they have a run that is large enough to give then 10sq ft per duck, they dont need to go out everyday (although I'm sure they would love to)
If it's just a coop they need out every day.
Should we put the male back with them?
If his aggression is hormonal, he should calm down enough to go back with the girls until spring.
Do they even need a male around to lay eggs?
No
What are signs of ducks getting sick?
They will hide their illness. If they lay down and don't want to get up. If they have liquid in their nostrils or eyes.

They have some nice hay in there because we got a lot of rain and it ruined the pine shavings that where in there. My main concern with letting A.J the male is he was a little ruff with them. But he seems a lot nicer now. He doesn’t try to bite anyone who try’s to do anything in the pin now. So we can give it a try just for the winter. I do have another question I am curious about. I had parakeets when I was younger and the female we had got an egg stuck and couldn’t lay it. So I am wondering can that happen to ducks too? And if so is there anything you can do to help them?

They have some nice hay in there because we got a lot of rain and it ruined the pine shavings that where in there. My main concern with letting A.J the male is he was a little ruff with them. But he seems a lot nicer now. He doesn’t try to bite anyone who try’s to do anything in the pin now. So we can give it a try just for the winter. I do have another question I am curious about. I had parakeets when I was younger and the female we had got an egg stuck and couldn’t lay it. So I am wondering can that happen to ducks too? And if so is there anything you can do to help them?
Yes it can happen. You can give them oyster shell on the side, especially if they aren't on a layer feed.
If an egg gets stuck you can give them calcium. You can soak their belly and butt in warm water. You can lubricate their vent.
I'm sure other will have some suggestions too.

What breed of ducks do you have?
Yes female ducks chickens and geese can get egg bound sometimes soaking in warm water bath can help them lay. Making sure they have adequate calcium in the form of oyster shell can help it not happen but sometimes it still can so we give them calcium gluconate or calcium citrate if egg bound. Keeping them inside in a dark quiet place can help them relax enough to lay I even read placing them in a heating pad covered in a towel on lowest setting inside a quiet place may help. Always a vet if one can afford.

Back
Top Bottom