I could use help figuring out gender - Muscovy 4 months

I'll X's 2 RavynFallen and Miss Lydia's observations. We have a few females with stouter legs but looking at them from the front you can tell that the legs are more situated under the body, where the drakes are set further apart. Not having another Muscovy for comparison does limit that perspective. Until we clipped wings last year we had two ducks and one drake continually fly and perch on the room just at it was getting dark. Both fly well, even though the drake looked too bottom heavy to get up off the ground. Either way, that is one pretty 'Scovy!!! Our lone incubator hatched Uno looks nearly identical in color. He's a big boy for his age and will grow to be a great drake for our flock. We've moved him and 4 other ducklings about 2 weeks behind him outside and it's amazing how he watches over the youngsters. Amazing critters. We love 'em like children.

Thanks for all the compliments on my Muscovy! I think she/he is a cutie. I haven't weighed her yet- I need my husband to do it. (I refuse to step on a scale and do the math with and without a duck!) but these are some front shots for leg placement. And I had no idea makes
Would go on the roof too! I thought they'd be too heavy to get that high!

I stick with "she". Small feet, legs are placed close together, legs aren't nearly as big as they looked in one of your earlier pictures, and her caruncles aren't as thick as you'll find on a male. Although, for that age, that's not as good of an indicator as the feet, legs and voice. If she starts hissing in the next month or two, then all bets are off! But I think that's a very pretty Muscovy duck. Congrats!!

I stick with "she". Small feet, legs are placed close together, legs aren't nearly as big as they looked in one of your earlier pictures, and her caruncles aren't as thick as you'll find on a male.  Although, for that age, that's not as good of an indicator as the feet, legs and voice.  If she starts hissing in the next month or two, then all bets are off!  But I think that's a very pretty Muscovy duck.  Congrats!!
https://instagram.com/p/BGZEq5zg0Xb/

Is this sound a hiss? (Yes, I made an Instagram account for her after we took her in.) This is her "hello" to me (if you can ignore the Pekin quacking).

Last edited:
I stick with "she". Small feet, legs are placed close together, legs aren't nearly as big as they looked in one of your earlier pictures, and her caruncles aren't as thick as you'll find on a male.  Although, for that age, that's not as good of an indicator as the feet, legs and voice.  If she starts hissing in the next month or two, then all bets are off!  But I think that's a very pretty Muscovy duck.  Congrats!!
https://instagram.com/p/BGZEq5zg0Xb/

Is this sound a hiss? (Yes, I made an Instagram account for her after we took her in.) This is her "hello" to me (if you can ignore the Pekin quacking).

Looks and sounds like a boy to me.

-Kathy

Oh! That helped! Having only one I just had NOTHING to compare him too. I knew my Pekins were a boy and a girl. They were younger than him, but he was heavier. So the vet was wrong! Haha! In the vets defense, my Muscovy was just a few weeks old when we took him in to reset his leg. Maybe it was too hard to tell at that time.

Back
Top Bottom