1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I crossed a cream legbar with a ----- and this is what I got

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1Chick Magnet, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Crossing Barred with a White Leghorn would give you offspring that is White and may have a Black feather or two.
    You need to cross Black Breasted Red with Barred to get a true Crele. You could cross a Brown Red with Barred and get a "Mock" or "Faux" Crele.

Chris

2. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Chris,

last week I bought 2 solid black very large polish pullets. the breeding on them is white crested black. do you have any idea what I would get if I bred them to my legbar roo? they are the same size as him and he seems to be in love. lol

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The offspring from the White Cap Black/ Self Black Polish Cross should be Black with a few White feathers in the crest.
    If there good Legbars,
    Offspring from above cross bred to a Legbar Male should give you Barred offspring.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    yup, that is exactly what my polish look like.
    whith a legbar rooster cross would some be barred or all?

5. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    does anyone know how winter hardy legbars are? we have had a couple of thirty degree nights and the points of my legbars comb are purple. I am very concerned for the upcoming new hampshire winter.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    They are not known to be very winter hardy which is why I am working on rose combed legbars (the legbarhorns are the first generation)

7. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    that is a surprise because 2 out of the 3 breeds do great here in the winter.
    my little guy looked cold tonight. he gets on the perch between the 2 polish girls and kind of hunkers down. tonight is going to be the coldest night of the season so far. he is in an insulated coop but I am still worried about him.
    I can see where the rosecomb would be better in a cold climate.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We already got down into the low teens in my area. I moved my legbars inside after it got gold enough to turn their combs purple. The rose combed chicks from them are not affected at all by the cold.

9. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I moved my roo to an insulated coop. his comb is nice and red now. in the mornings when I go out to take care of everyone he looks cold. I hope he is ok this winter. I have a modern game and a serama that I plan to bring indoors when they look uncomfortable but so far they are fine.

10. 1Chick Magnet

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is my legbar rooster

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by