I dead and another bleeding .... Please help.....

RoosterRidge

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Dry Fork, Va.
DH found 1 dead today inside the coop.... They had already started pecking her when he found her.... We have been gone about 6 hours and returned home to another one in the nesting box bleeding.... Please help what is wrong and what can we do.... We are putting her in a pet carrier and going to keep her quiet.... What is all this blood from? I don't want to loose another one of my girls.... Don't think I can stand another one dying....
hit.gif

I now have her inside in a pet carrier. Please someone what do I do now? I had to physically push one off her after I sat her on the top of the nesting box. She was like a vampire going after the blood.

Need more information please

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

First make sure the bleeding is stopping. You can apply pressure or some flour or corn starch to help it stop. Evaluate the wound. Is it superficial or deep? You did right to remove her. Give us some more info as in above post. Also...how big a coop? How many chickens in it? Are they closed up in it or do they come and go? You can put some antibiotic ointment on it just make sure it does not have pain killer in it.
sharon

Sorry I hit the wrong button. No signs that anything was wrong. When my husband found the first one she was laying under the roost. They had been let out into the run about 7 hours before. They had alittle bit of scratch corn and regular layer pellets to eat. Nothing out of the ordinary. Her butt was bloody but thought that was where they had pecked her. Other than that nothing. She did look like maybe she had a blood clot but not sure if that is where she had been pecked or not. Could she have been egg bound? But two in one day. The other one had been bleeding and pecked that she had only quills sticking out of her tail feathers. I will try to get a pic as soon as I can. She does not seem in distress at all. I don't know what else that I can add. The coop has pine shavings in it. The same thing we have used since bringing them home as babies.

Is it possible - and please, someone step in and tell me I'm full of it if this isn't possible... - could the second hen have had blood on her from the first one, and the others mistake that for an injury thereby attacking her???

Back
Top Bottom