I detest cable....

smom1976

too many projects too little time!
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I have remained strong and we have not had cable in our house for 8 years..

Well I called the phone company to make an adjustment on our phone bill and they upgraded our service to a better DSL and did some other stuff with long distance.. anyway I was confirming the changes with my DH while on the phone with the att guy and my husband jokenly said.. hey can we get a year of free cable with that too.. then laughed.. the guy said actually yes there is a promo going on let me check.. soo he comes back on and says yup you can get a year free of DISH 100 channels. And get this .. I am getting an upgrade of DSL, Long distance unlimited, and a year of DISH for all of what I am currently paying. In one year our bill will jump $40 a month but the guy said to call back and we can change it all around again and maybe get it less expensive..

BUT... I hate cable.. there is such a difference in the comercials and content of programing.. Half the stuff I dont want my kids to watch.. I am going to have to do some serious parental controls on this thing.

I hear ya... we haven't had tv for over 6 years. Cable costs were outlandish and we didn't get access without it. I really don't miss it..... except maybe PBS, HGTV, History and Discovery channels. And I've found I like listening to baseball on the radio and so far this year, I've read 85 books.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am with you both. We do have cable and I strickly monitor what is and is not okay (the Cable Nazi!)....how in the world we can put a man on the moon but can not get cable a-la-carte for the educational stuff (animal planet, TLC, HGTV, Weather Channel, History, etc) ??????
barnie.gif

about 4 years ago we bought something called a tv guardian, and it has really been worth the money we paid for it. We have direct tv and the tv guardian cut out most of the offensive language all you see is their lips moving, now we can watch movies that we would have turned off before we got it. Hope it lasts a long time.now if they could invent something that would fast forward some of the scenes I would be happy,Now I just keep the remote handy and move the channel up for a few min,it that don't help off goes the tv, DH watches the western channel anyway, and i read. marrie

On the other hand, you get some cool stuff with PBSKids and Noggin!
big_smile.png
There are a couple of shows that I TiVo for my daughter, that I think are worthwhile, some excellent educational programming.

Quote:
yep, that's what I want too, and we don't even have kids at present. There are easily 200 channels we have never and will never watch in our package yet I feel like I must be paying for them somehow...

I suspect the cable companies don't offer a la carte because they have done economic analysis that indicates they would lose money on the deal. But they could at least offer a basic + educational channels... sigh....

We had Direct TV for 2 years before moving here and had a bundle package. We paid $60 a month for it... we get cable in this place because of the internet and the company says 'well after the new year, the price goes up to $75 a month'....

ep.gif
FOR CABLE?! We'll be tv less in 09.
lau.gif

I am getting an upgrade of DSL, Long distance unlimited, and a year of DISH for all of what I am currently paying. In one year our bill will jump $40 a month but the guy said to call back and we can change it all around again and maybe get it less expensive..

See, this is what they call great value. Block what you dont want to come through, but dont cut your nose off to spite your face.​

We have Direct TV and I think I have more channels blocked than are unblocked. I blocked all the ones we don't subscribe to and lots of ones that come with the package. MTV was the first to get blocked. Then I went on a blocking-spree and got rid of a bunch of others. there is so much on tv that I don't want to have to explain to the kids. What happened to the good old days of I Love Lucy? We paid extra to get the Military channel and the History channels. I would miss those and the home improvement channels (I dream about having our house look as nice as some of those homes). But if they sneak another rate hike in there ... I'll be canceling. 58.01 a month .... ouch.

Back
Top Bottom