I did a fecal on the sick chick. Look.

chickintexas

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Spring Branch
Okay, so I'm a bit more involved with my animals than some.
The sick peachick had a lot of these little ball/eggish looking things in it's poop
51627_img_3627.jpg

They look parasitic to me. Panacur? Other suggestions?

No freakin' clue! The material inside of the egg thing looks like a rolly polly all rolled up, you know? I'll be running out here in a bit to pick up some Panacur. Gotta feed the two-leggeds lunch before I head out.

Quote:
What fecal prep did you use? What magnification is this? If you're using regular fecal float and looking at 10X -most likely ascarids (roundworms). The nucleus isn't quite right though. If the magnification is higher (40x), these might be tapeworm eggs. Tapeworm eggs are about 50% smaller than ascarids. Panacure will treat roundworms, but my reference book recommends praziquantel. The only prep I know of this is a pill for dogs/cats. There may also be a large animal preparation?

Reference book- "Veterinary Parasitology, Reference Manual" by William J. Foreyt

Where there alot on your slide? I'm bothered by the variability in size between the circles. Most parasite eggs are very consistent in size (all of the them same size). Pseudoparasites (pollen, fat droplets) can be different sizes.

I'd be tempted to treat with panacure- probably can't hurt! Praziquantel maybe a little harder to find?
Good luck-let us know how things go....
Lora

There was a huge amount on my slide. My biggest question (and I think I've already answered it in all the research I've done) is, can a one week old chick already have roundworm eggs??? Due to the life cycle of a roundworm, I would think that a week old chick with an enormous amount of what I thought of as eggs would be next to impossible.
The fecal prep was just a smear and taken at 500X.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote:
Prepatent period (ingestion to eggs in stool) for roundworms/ascarids is 29-50 days. Tapeworms have a prepatent period of 2-3 weeks. At 500X, your may be dealing with tapes....

Back
Top Bottom