I did a thing today ......

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
8 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I made a test batch of homemade treat blocks this morning (working on some things for a home & garden show in the spring where I'll be selling my homegrown meal worms, no waste feeders, waterers and some other backyard chicken things). They got a little dark on the bottoms, going to have to see if my girls mind that. Planning ahead thinking of roasting some mealies for inclusion and other types of grains, seeds etc to add for variety...
20181202_114014.jpg 20181202_114558.jpg 20181202_114943.jpg 20181202_124743.jpg

Lol @Shamo Hybrid .....I'm too nice to hold out on them.

I used a combo of a few different ones and ended up using
2c scratch,
1 cup crumble,
1/2 c sunflower seeds,
1 cup old fashioned oats,
1/2 c wheat bran,
1/2 c oil,
1/2 c molasses,
three eggs....
I feed a nonlayer ration so I also tossed in about 1/2 c oyster shell (planning to leave out for nonlaying flocks). Baked at 325 for 30 minutes but the thicker round one (was stuffing last bit of mix in that one, lol) probably needed a little longer as it feels slightly soft.
I intend to make future ones slightly larger, these were made with small molds because I am planning to use them as gifts for a couple of friends that I know that have chickens.
I’m glad you’re nice! I’ll be trying these out soon! :woot
Thank you! :)

Wow! What holds the seeds together?
Egg, oil, molasses

What are the treat blocks composed of? I want to make these for my flock to keep them entertained and maybe stimulate their activity. Maybe just a hint of one ingredient? :drool

I was thinking the same thing.

Don't give your secret recipe away to them!!!!! :p

Lol @Shamo Hybrid .....I'm too nice to hold out on them.

I used a combo of a few different ones and ended up using
2c scratch,
1 cup crumble,
1/2 c sunflower seeds,
1 cup old fashioned oats,
1/2 c wheat bran,
1/2 c oil,
1/2 c molasses,
three eggs....
I feed a nonlayer ration so I also tossed in about 1/2 c oyster shell (planning to leave out for nonlaying flocks). Baked at 325 for 30 minutes but the thicker round one (was stuffing last bit of mix in that one, lol) probably needed a little longer as it feels slightly soft.
I intend to make future ones slightly larger, these were made with small molds because I am planning to use them as gifts for a couple of friends that I know that have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom