I did it! First processing!

justdeb1107

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Vance, AL
Today, using a how-to link I found on this site, I processed two of our roosters. They were 14 weeks old. I only want laying hens, so it was time for them to go. The first bird I messed up by puncturing the intestine, which meant I had poo coming out in the body cavity (minimal, thank goodness). Eww. The second bird was a large black copper maran that didn't fit into my scalding pot. I dunked both sides, but he did not get a good scald. It was tough to pluck him, and I had many pin feathers to work out. However, I think it all went pretty darn well, and I was not as freaked out as I thought I was going to be about killing something live. I know my roosters were raised in wonderful conditions, and no commercial breeder could compare. I wasn't as grossed out about the blood or heads as I thought I would be, but what surprised me was how gross chicken feet are. I don't love them. lol Still...not so bad!
big_smile.png

If that's your BCM in the picture, I think you did an awesome job of plucking him and getting the pinfeathers out! I wish most of my black and blue cockerels that we did a few weeks ago looked that clean when we were done with them! I personally love chicken feet. There's something incredibly satisfying for me about peeling the skin after scalding. Not to mention that the feet are the secret to the best stock ever.

thank you for posting your first experience!!! we are getting some meat birds this coming spring and i'm already freaking about the butchering process. hopefully i can do as well as you did!!!!!!

If that's your BCM in the picture, I think you did an awesome job of plucking him and getting the pinfeathers out! I wish most of my black and blue cockerels that we did a few weeks ago looked that clean when we were done with them! I personally love chicken feet. There's something incredibly satisfying for me about peeling the skin after scalding. Not to mention that the feet are the secret to the best stock ever.

Yes, that's the BCM. Now I know why the "meaties" usually have white feathers. lol

The feet, though...meh...I couldn't get used to handling them. They got tossed. But intestines and organs? No problema. haha

thank you for posting your first experience!!! we are getting some meat birds this coming spring and i'm already freaking about the butchering process. hopefully i can do as well as you did!!!!!!

It was nowhere near as bad as I thought. I have a Silkie and tiny OEG birds for pets. The big guys are business, and I had to keep that in mind. Neither of these two had names. ;)

Thank you for the encouragement. I know it seems strange to be so excited about butchering chickens, but I am bound and determined to learn some homesteading/self-sufficiency skills. My fiends think I am a little loopy (in the real world I am a real estate agent! lol), but it's a skill I am proud to acquire.

Yep, the feet are pretty gross. Strangely my daughter loves the feet. She peels them and then plays with the tendons making the feet flex and stuff. Weird child.

Nice job plucking. Next time you are going to process any, leave them off feed for at least 24 hours before and then off water for 6 hours or so and you won't have the poo problem. Their guts will be mostly empty. We learned that the hard way. You also won't have full crops to deal with either.

Back
Top Bottom