I did it! First processing!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by justdeb1107, Sep 11, 2012.

1. justdeb1107

justdeb1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    Today, using a how-to link I found on this site, I processed two of our roosters. They were 14 weeks old. I only want laying hens, so it was time for them to go. The first bird I messed up by puncturing the intestine, which meant I had poo coming out in the body cavity (minimal, thank goodness). Eww. The second bird was a large black copper maran that didn't fit into my scalding pot. I dunked both sides, but he did not get a good scald. It was tough to pluck him, and I had many pin feathers to work out. However, I think it all went pretty darn well, and I was not as freaked out as I thought I was going to be about killing something live. I know my roosters were raised in wonderful conditions, and no commercial breeder could compare. I wasn't as grossed out about the blood or heads as I thought I would be, but what surprised me was how gross chicken feet are. I don't love them. lol Still...not so bad! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done!

3. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    Congrats I hope you have many more birds like it for your freezer. Little things that make life more fun and healthier for us.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If that's your BCM in the picture, I think you did an awesome job of plucking him and getting the pinfeathers out! I wish most of my black and blue cockerels that we did a few weeks ago looked that clean when we were done with them! I personally love chicken feet. There's something incredibly satisfying for me about peeling the skin after scalding. Not to mention that the feet are the secret to the best stock ever.

5. applecore5

applecore5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    thank you for posting your first experience!!! we are getting some meat birds this coming spring and i'm already freaking about the butchering process. hopefully i can do as well as you did!!!!!!

6. justdeb1107

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    Yes, that's the BCM. Now I know why the "meaties" usually have white feathers. lol

The feet, though...meh...I couldn't get used to handling them. They got tossed. But intestines and organs? No problema. haha

7. justdeb1107

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    It was nowhere near as bad as I thought. I have a Silkie and tiny OEG birds for pets. The big guys are business, and I had to keep that in mind. Neither of these two had names. ;)

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very good point - never name your food.

9. justdeb1107

Jan 3, 2012
    Vance, AL
    Thank you for the encouragement. I know it seems strange to be so excited about butchering chickens, but I am bound and determined to learn some homesteading/self-sufficiency skills. My fiends think I am a little loopy (in the real world I am a real estate agent! lol), but it's a skill I am proud to acquire.

10. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Yep, the feet are pretty gross. Strangely my daughter loves the feet. She peels them and then plays with the tendons making the feet flex and stuff. Weird child.

Nice job plucking. Next time you are going to process any, leave them off feed for at least 24 hours before and then off water for 6 hours or so and you won't have the poo problem. Their guts will be mostly empty. We learned that the hard way. You also won't have full crops to deal with either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by