I did it...I am an official BYC member!

ChickieNikki

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
1 hour west of St. Louis, MO
...and I'm about to be a 1st time chicken owner!
big_smile.png
I'm in MO, about an hour due west of St. Louis.

I ordered 25 day-old pullets from cacklehatchery.com, which is about 175 miles from me. Too far to drive, but they ship. I don't know what their shipping schedule or availability is, though--their outgoing message said they have hatches on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I ordered 5 Black Australorps, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 New Hampshire Reds, 5 Araucanas (Ameraucanas), and 5 Barred Rocks. I couldn't find a single pullet at the 3 farm/feed stores here in town, and this was the only hatchery that didn't indicate "NO availability until late May or later."

I have been researching for 3 years (which is how long it took Mr. No Way to finally agree to build me a coop. Now he's Mr. I Can't Believe I Let Her Convince Me To Do This). I chose those breeds for their docile temperament, their low likelihood of aggression, their laying capabilities, and their looks. I have 5 kids and I'm due in 3 weeks with the 6th, ages 8 and down, so this will be not only a way for us to meet our 6 dozen egg per week needs, but a way to get the kids involved in a family project that we can all enjoy for years. We homeschool, so it's a great idea as far as I can tell.

I think I probably need to sell 10 of the birdies when I get them, because our coop is 12x4, and even though they will have about 8000 sf of free range run we're fencing, I don't know if that coop is big enough for 25 birdies. Clearly there's a high demand around here for pullets (the straight runs were plentiful today, but all pullets were GONE, and they shipped Wednesday!!). But maybe 25 isn't too many--we'll also have a 12x4 fully enclosed area underneath the coop for shade, sick birds, peckers, or possibly next year's additions (I'm addicted already!)...if you have any input as to how many I should keep, please chime in!

I hope cackle can get my chicks to me next week--I am afraid if they don't ship by then, I could go into labor, and then miss the shipment (which would be a dIsAsTeR!!)...but I just got my HUGE industrial size heat lamp (which will definitely go in the coop for winter--it's like a foot in diamater and 18" tall!!!), my red bulb (gotta buy a backup), a heated feeder for winter, 2 regular feeders (1 for in, 1 for out), a trough for the peeps, and 2 soda bottle water bases.

Anyway, these forums have been a HUGE help in me getting myself together and fully informed as I embark on this project. Thanks for all your advice in advance--I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I'm going to post my instructions I wrote for myself as to how to manage the peep flock for the first 6 weeks--feel free to advise!

Nikki
Mom of 5 + 1 about to hatch, and soon-to-be chickie mom to 25!!!

Welcome from a fellow Missourian
smile.png
They say 4 sqft per adult bird in the chicken coop but you could always have Mr. I can't believe I let her talk me into this build you another one
wink.png

By next year he will have anywaz when you order another 25, lol.
lau.gif

Boy where do I start first of all
welcome-byc.gif
And second congrats on baby # 6,
love.gif
I would need a vacation if I were you. And home schooling to boot. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into what kind of chickens you wanted and should you go into labor, just have it in the coop. Tell the doctor your not leaving until the other babies come.
gig.gif

Good luck with everything. Ginger

Welcome to Byc. chicks are so much fun. The kids will fall in love with the little fuzzy butts. Be careful they might squeeze to tightly. I was tempted to myself. I hope all goes well with the chicks and your delivery as well. Jean

Back
Top Bottom