I did it! I made my first chicken saddle!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheJadeChicken, Jul 15, 2012.

1. And in the middle of the night, too. hahaha

It isn't the best looking. But I am very proud of it since it is my first one. [​IMG] Pictures are below. Later I will get some pictures of it on one of my Hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/make-a-chicken-saddle/ <----Instructions I followed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Well done! Can't wait to see it on one of your chickens. [​IMG]

3. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Simmonsfunnyfrm Songster

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    Wow it looks really good! Thanks for posting instructions, I may make a few of these!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It looks great! I made one too, but I used Velcro instead of snaps. It was easier.:). I'm making a couple more since I have tons of fabric.:p

5. Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thanks! I was worried the Velcro wouldn't hold up to my rooster. He isn't ruff or anything, just BIG. I am going to make more as well. I eventually want to make bantam sized saddles. :D

6. Here is the hen of choice I put it on. The saddle is a bit big. I need to modify it a little. Either the neck piece or the wing straps are a bit big.

[​IMG]

Here is she is running away from me, after I put it on her.

[​IMG]

7. mhart5067

mhart5067 Chirping

What is the purpose of the chicken saddle??? I've never heard of this before

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice job! I'm envious of people who are handy with a needle and thread.

A chicken saddle (apron) is used to protect a hen who gets too much attention from a rooster.

9. hugapug

hugapug In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    La Crescenta, CA
    That's fantastic and I love the choice of fabric!

10. Thank you all! I am making another one. This time a small one for my bantams. I am doing much better with it. I think I found my specialty. xD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: