I did it!

Quote:
Yeah, that's it, savvvvvvvvvvyyyyyyyy.........
cool.png
lol.png

Quote:
Sad, but true. Marans make lovely eggs. Bantam araucanas.....wellllll....I just love the little critters, they don't have to be "good" for anything .
smile.png

But getting a Sportsman, thats just Smart! More for your money! All those lovely little chicks. Then the hatchers, and the brooders, and what are you going to do with all the big chickens??

Ahhh, see, with a Sportsman you don't NEED a hatcher. There's a hatching tray in the bottom of the incubator. And I hate to break it to these pampered little babies, but their brooders are probably going to be plastic storage tubs with heat lamps. As for the big chickens, I'm expanding my pens right now!

I have two LF Araucana chicks right now...but for some reason Bantam's seem to be the thing. And they are way more available to me. May I ask what draws you to Bantams over LF??

Well....that's a very personal preference. I personally think the bantams are more graceful looking. The length of the LF legs and body makes em look gangly to me. And I love the size of the bantams -- they make a nice handful. And they're just cute. And you can fit more of em in the same space. And I like their personalities. And what's not to like??

And being a Smith is a good thing! I've been one for 11 years, I kinda like it!

Me too, except when people don't believe that's really my last name!
lol.png

Quote:
The prices in that package table INCLUDE shipping. In my zone, the total -- including incubator, six egg trays, automatic waterer, AND shipping -- was $760.

Most places were charging $630-$660 for the incubator ALONE, and then adding roughly $100 in shipping on TOP of that. The waterer runs around $50, and the trays are something like $40 for six -- so that would be roughly $850-$900 altogether, depending on where you get it. I couldn't believe this place had such a good deal -- but I'm not complaining!

Well, Congrats on the purchase! I may just go to Bantams as a Hobby bird, since having them is for my love of the breed, so the economy of the smaller package helps! I do love the two LF I have, Professor Tuft is the sweetest, she jumps out of the "Brooder" set up in the chicken house (it's open now) and runs up to me wanting her food first. Tons of personality in a small package. Whats not to like?
ProfessorTuftDecember2008-1.jpg

Tina/tfpets

*laughing* You are so gonna be like a kid in a candy store when that arrives. How are you going to get past the monitoring stage of watching the temp and humidity for a time!! I see a wealth of peeps in your future!! SO exciting! oops! Eggsciting!

Quote:
You got that right. Look out eggs, here I come!
lol.png

Chere (walkswithdog) has loaned me a hovabator -- which I've already put eggs in -- so I think I can survive the setup period with the Sportsman. But it'll still be hard!

Quote:
Yup. Nothing fancy, but also not something I'd be likely to build for myself. I was surprised when I saw that they were selling for $50 -- there's probably less than $10 worth of parts in em, from what I can see from pics.

Back
Top Bottom