I DID IT!!!!!

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
I am probably the world's biggest coward when it comes to killing anything. I make my husband do the dirty work. We also have 25 Cornish X. The plan was to butcher them next weekend when they are about 11 weeks old and there would be plenty of help on hand. We like big roasters. Anyway, yesterday when I went out to feed, I noticed one was having trouble walking. A lot of trouble walking. His legs wouldn't support him anymore. He wasn't going to make it to butcher day. I was here all by myself. Brother and hubby were out of town. The choice was that this nice plump chicken was going to end up either in the dumpster or the freezer and it was up to me to decide which. I opted for the freezer. Next I had to figure out how I, the wuss, was going to kill it. An axe was out of the question. But I did have a pair of LARGE pruning shears. Regular limb loppers. I managed to tie the poor chicken's legs together with baling twine and hang him up. I used the limb loppers to sever the head. I got the head off before either me or the chicken quite knew what was happening. He hardly even twitched. I let him bleed out and then dunked him in the kettle of water I had put on to heat beforehand. I did manage to get a good scald on him and the feathers came off easily. I had printed out some step-by-step instructions on how to eviscerate a chicken. I read a few lines, did what it said, and then proceded to the next step. Wasn't long before I had a clean naked chicken in the fridge. I was surprised. I never thought I had it in me. If I can do it, anybody can!!

clap.gif

I'll be in your shoes in the next few weeks... and am nervous as all get out!
hide.gif

Congrats!
clap.gif

That's encouraging as I'm thinking of ordering some meat chicks, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who knows how to butcher to come help me.

I have a couple of little roos in my bunch right now and I am trying ot decide what to do with them. I mean I am such a wimp, every time I look at them I'm like no I cant do it and then I come back on here read up how to process the bird go back out and look at them and go nope dont think I can. Thankfully mine arent cornish x's so it wont hurt for them not to be processed. But I am glad you were able to! Congrats to being brave.

Congratulations! Even though it's hard it's also a sense of accomplishment when everything goes well and you know you cared well for the animal from start to finish yourself.

Congrats...I have a few chicks that sure look like roos..if I can't sell them, then it's "off with their heads" I hope I can do as well as you...
clap.gif

good for you, that's awesome!!! Thank God, my hubby is a bird hunter...he's been doing it for years....we've only culled one bird so far because they threw a cornish X in with our pullets, it was tasty but I think would have been better had I cut it's feed off for 24 hours and maybe soaked it....?? we put in on a roisserie and it was so big, our friends thought it was a turkey!! LOL

Wow good job. Thats quite a story. Especially the pruning shears.
I've got cornish rocks for the first time. Can I ask what yours weight is at 11 weeks. Mine are 5lbs at 5 weeks and they don't really care to walk around much? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom