I did something stupid

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by line-rat, Jan 28, 2009.

1. line-rat

line-rat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    west central ohio
    I was in a hurry to get to work yesterday. I had to take care of my Buckeyes before i left for work. They were outside in the run eating some scratch i threw to them. I closed the little chicken door so i could do some work in the coop. the 2 roosters are not on good terms with me right now, teenagers. did what i had to do and went to work. Today i go out to take care of my chickens. as i am walking over to the coop i notice the little chicken door is still closed from the day before. they all made it through the cold night in singel digits tempertures. had to go get them some large meal worms at the pet store to give them. no more rushing to get things done take my time and do it right.[​IMG]

2. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Poor babies [​IMG]

3. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Been there done that...! [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they withhold eggs just remember they are spanking you for locking them out in the cold. LOL

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Once the little coop door was left closed with everyone out in the run all day. It was in the spring, but they were unable to lay all day. Total chaos! I opened the door and there were about three birds in each nesting box. Some were too hysterical to sit down. I felt horrible. [​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if i started a thread every time i did something stupid,, nifty would have me banned [​IMG]
    welcome to the club,, your membership card should arrive soonz.. [​IMG]

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I am so glad I have never done anything like that...[​IMG]...was that lightening? Okay maybe a time or two something slightly dumb...my usual one in the summer is filling the dogs water or swimming pool...I get to doing something else and then the next day wonder where in the world all the water in the run and yard came from! [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    One time my BSL got out of the run during the day while I was at work. Never did figure out how, and she's never done it again. She laid her egg right there in the frozen dirt. It was stuck to the ground! [​IMG]

Like you, I felt awful that she'd been outside by herself all day. She had no food, no water, and no company (except through the chicken wire). Poor thing. She's fine, though.

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Glad everyone is ok. I accidentally left one of my delawares out after closing everyone else in for the night. Fortunately, she squawked so loudly I was able to hear her before it got dark and let her in. I felt just terrible. Now I have to count them 3 or 4 times......

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I would have to be added to the 'Done something stupid' list too.

We have a 'special' chicken that was injured before I got her and it left her scared, doofy and visually impaired. She was doing pretty good getting used to hanging out with the rest of the flock though. One morning I went in to let them out and noticed she was missing. My heart sank, I just knew I had somehow left her outside alone all night long. I quickly go out to the run calling her name...don't see her anywhere. Go back into the coop to double check, shes not there either. Just as I was going back into the run her black feathers caught my eye. She had wedged herself between a tall piece of wood (put up for wind block) and the wire around the juvie pen. So not only was she left outside all night, she was stuck there, where she had gone to hide from the other meanie hens and then forgotten. I felt so bad!! I still can't believe I did that. She is always the first one we talk to and check on each morning and before leaving them for the night. She was fine though and is now 8 months old and just started squatting. Its amazing how much chickens can deal with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by