I didn't know and $70 later....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abrameit, Oct 17, 2012.

1. abrameit

abrameit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    My Coop
    Hi, I'm Ann and I grew up going to a country club not the country fair but my husband and I recently moved to a 105 acre farm where he is busy raising cows which he knows how to do and I am experimenting with chickens. A week ago I noticed my best Buff Orpington stop laying and she was losing a few feathers. I thought, well she is over a year old, she is probably molting. Then yesterday I looked at her and she looked horrible (will post picture soon). She is my special needs daughter's chicken (named Bear) so I rushed her to the vet (exotic animal vet with Avian certification.) Wish I had checked your site first. After a lengthy vet visit including looking at the feather follicle under a microscope and checks for lice and mites (none) the vet said she needed to do more research. She emailed me today that she thought Bear was having a normal molt. So then I looked up "what does a molting chicken look like" and there were these horrendous pictures that looked as bad as Bear. I felt stupid for spending $70 for the vet to tell me she was molting (to be fair the vet said she doesn't see a lot of chickens, mostly exotic birds.)

So now I am hoping to connect with someone in the North East Texas area (Tyler) who has more chicken expertise and can advise me when these situations come up. I have 26 babies (assorted brown egg layers) who are doing great and am planning on moving them to the big pen in a couple of weeks.

thanks for being there;

Ann

p.s. all my old friends are perplexed at my chicken hobby and keep saying, "Who are you?" to me and "What have you done with Ann?" I'm OK with that;)

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Always ask for advice in BYC before you go to a vet. Our advice is free and you save $$.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 what dawg53 said! We're here to help!

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello and welcome! If you have concerns again feel free to ask lots of questions. Post picture and give as much info as you can. There are people here with lots of experience who can help.

7. katschicks11

katschicks11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Edwardsville, IL
    Welcome to BYC, this a great place to find info. [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ann, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock. Sorry you had to shell out your hard earned dollars when it was just molting. Live and learn. I wish you and your chickens the best!!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. x3 on dawg's advice. You can meet local chicken owners by checking out your state's thread in the Where am I? Where are you! section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by