I didn't know and $70 later....

abrameit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Tyler, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I'm Ann and I grew up going to a country club not the country fair but my husband and I recently moved to a 105 acre farm where he is busy raising cows which he knows how to do and I am experimenting with chickens. A week ago I noticed my best Buff Orpington stop laying and she was losing a few feathers. I thought, well she is over a year old, she is probably molting. Then yesterday I looked at her and she looked horrible (will post picture soon). She is my special needs daughter's chicken (named Bear) so I rushed her to the vet (exotic animal vet with Avian certification.) Wish I had checked your site first. After a lengthy vet visit including looking at the feather follicle under a microscope and checks for lice and mites (none) the vet said she needed to do more research. She emailed me today that she thought Bear was having a normal molt. So then I looked up "what does a molting chicken look like" and there were these horrendous pictures that looked as bad as Bear. I felt stupid for spending $70 for the vet to tell me she was molting (to be fair the vet said she doesn't see a lot of chickens, mostly exotic birds.)

So now I am hoping to connect with someone in the North East Texas area (Tyler) who has more chicken expertise and can advise me when these situations come up. I have 26 babies (assorted brown egg layers) who are doing great and am planning on moving them to the big pen in a couple of weeks.

thanks for being there;

Ann

p.s. all my old friends are perplexed at my chicken hobby and keep saying, "Who are you?" to me and "What have you done with Ann?" I'm OK with that;)

Welcome from Kentucky!
welcome-byc.gif
I am sure if you head over to the https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you section and look for some Texas threads, you will find lots of people to help! Also try here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/64/raising-backyard-chickens. You'll finds friends willing to help from all over the globe here!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
X2 what dawg53 said! We're here to help!

Hello and welcome! If you have concerns again feel free to ask lots of questions. Post picture and give as much info as you can. There are people here with lots of experience who can help.

Greetings from Kansas, Ann, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our flock. Sorry you had to shell out your hard earned dollars when it was just molting. Live and learn. I wish you and your chickens the best!!

Back
Top Bottom