1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I didn't know what else to do!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 26, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok we have a broody sitting on 9 eggs. Well another one of our hens decided that she was going to go broody also. As you can immagine they fought over some of the eggs and one was broke open. I have no idea if this is going to work but here is what I did with the egg.
    [​IMG]
    That is the corner of a ziplock bag that I attatched to the egg with wax. I know there is a boy on here that has tried an egg with a window but I am worried because it is so close to hatching that any attempts that I do are going to be worthless. The chick already has down on it. If I remember correctly it has about two weeks left till hatch. I have the egg in my home made incubator right now. Any Ideas?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If it has 2 weeks left to hatch and has lost that much blood already, chances are slim it will make it. Good of you to try, though... [​IMG]

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Huge surprise!! Chick is still alive [​IMG] I don't know for how long [​IMG] but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. [​IMG] It has been a while sincs I have incubated any eggs so if you can refresh my memory on the hummidity level that it should be at, in this stage of development it would be appriciated. Right now my hummidity level is at 70%.
    Thanks!

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If it still has so much time to go, 70% is way too high. If it only has a couple of days, 70% is fine...good luck!

5. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I'm doing my first incubation currently, and from the research I did, it should be around 35-45% (opinions on this varies a lot but you're definitely too high) and then for the last 3 days before hatch you want to bump it up to about 70%. Having really high humidity early can cause the air sac not to develop and drowning I've read. Good luck! Cool idea you have there, I hope it works.

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks so much for your resopnses. I will adjust my hummidity level. I was shocked to see movement as I too thought the chick was a gonner. I am sooo happy that it is still alive it is a SS and this is my first hatch of them.

7. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    How long was the hen sitting on it before this? As incubation total is around 3 weeks but after only one week it won't have feathers, I think maybe its in its final week? [​IMG]

8. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    Crossing my fingers for you! btw, I'm from York, too!

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Yeay someone else from York. That's great. The chicks could be in their final week, I have lost count of the days. lol Welcome to my hectic life. Oh well at leats the last time I checked on it (which was about 30min ago) it was still alive [​IMG]. We can see the fluid moving inside and I am guessing that is from it "breathing". So I am very happy about that!

I am in the Red Lion area. Where are you?

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] chick died [​IMG] Did as much for it as I could. Just wasn't ment to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by