I didnt know where to put this...........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenman98, Jun 9, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    How do i get my hen to quit pecking her eggs? if this doesnt stop we will have to eat her and i could never eat a chicken that i raised from a chick.

2. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Don't tell her that last part.

3. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I have heard of blowing the eggs (you put a small hole in each end, break the yolk with a needle and blow like mad to empty the egg) and filling it with mustard, or chilli paste, or other noxious tasting liquid. Seal it with wax and put it in an empty nest. She really won't like it. Either that or invest in/build a nesting box that rolls the eggs away underneath her into a tray before she can get them.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm sure other people have other solutions.

The two that come to mind that i've read:

Planting wooden eggs in the nest so that it's no fun to peck at the egg.

Blowing out and egg and filling the shell with mustard and using that as bait to turn her off from pecking.

5. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    Quote:x2 you can put cayenne pepper in the egg or put switch her eggs with a golf ball and see if she still likes it.

6. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have tried everything including giving her rotten eggs from the incubator that did not develop much she still ate all of them and then her egg. I even saved all the eggs in the sun for two weeks before giving them to her. [​IMG] I tried this twice....didn't do a darn thing. [​IMG] [​IMG] She is dinner which is a shame because she is a dark egg Welsummer hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by