I discovered how to help one of my chickens from falling over!!! I'd like ideas to improve upon it!

I don’t know if it was mentioned earlier, but there is a $20 PCR blood test for Mareks that you collect at home that is a available from here:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
Thanks for the link! I used to think it could only be determined on autopsy but someone above mentioned something about a test, but I didn't know about a home test. I might as well find out for her sake and to know if it's in my yard or not. Thanks too, for following Blondie's story.

A 5 month update! Yes, Blondie is still with us!

I last wrote about her condition: "she can finally sit without falling over for about 5 minutes. Today, she was able to stand for just a little bit. "

I also wrote that I treated her for lice. After that, she unfortunately regressed and I'm afraid I may have used too much pyrethrin (sp?) but we continued "walking" her... I went from using a harness which was difficult to put on, to using a strip off the bottom of an old t-shirt as a sling, with two holes and a couple of stitches to help it to sit on her breast better, and I hold the top. And over time we went from my having to support her weight, to her managing to do so fairly well, although not entirely because one leg is weaker.

So a couple of weeks ago she no longer wanted to sit on her throne of two neck pillows, and she was able to sit for pretty long without falling over, so we started letting her sit on a rug and it was good because she had to make micro-adjustments just to stay sitting upright...and if she did fall over, she often managed to right herself.

We also started to just let her sit outside supervised while I gardened (I couldn't do that before because I had to stay with her to sit her up or to make sure she wasn't attacked by Penny if she did go down. ) I also began to try to let her walk without the sling, but she'd run a step or two and faceplant into the grass.

Now, over the last week she has seemed more energetic and hyper, not wanting to sit still and not wanting to come back into the house after her walks (which had gone up to at least 4x/day. Then several days ago she ran (without the sling) along the side of a fence (which helped to keep her up) for about 4 ft. so I kept using that spot to do that everyday.

Well, this morning, she stood up for about 30 seconds! completely unaided and even took a few steps!! She did a little more up and down but tired out. After a rest, I took her outside and she ran (I think to stay upright) for about 10 feet before she did a faceplant.

Now she's back inside, tired out, and she has stuck the weak leg out in front of her (I wonder if it actually hurts her), but she making little chirping and cooing noises she hadn't made since January of February! She also started creeping which she hadn't done before.

Best of all there is hope! I thought the bad leg would prevent her from really standing and walking, but apparently not.

It has been far from easy, but she is one spunky unlucky, lucky chicken!

Last edited:
Old draperies used to have lead weights in the bottom that looked like large washers. They kept the drapes looking straight, and they could be removed easily for cleaning. They are making them now in a different shape—see link below. Can you post any pictures or a video of your invention when you get it finished?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJDKWDW/?tag=backy-20
Lead weighs make me think of the ones you wrap around the bottoms of aquarium plants. I think it actually is a strip cut to size. But not sure

I think this is the case Of a vet knowing little about poultry.

To see Maraks in the eye requires the eye to be removed then you will see the Maraks “tumors”

If this started in Oct and the bird is still alive today, she is one lucky bird..

how old was she when she came down with “Maraks”?

Was she vaccinated?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
How exactly did your vet confirm she had Mareks? You can't actually confirm that unless the bird died and they've done a necropsy or you sent a couple of their feathers to a diagnostic lab to evaluate whether a strain of the virus is present. "Falling over" isn't actually a classic Marek's symptom either. Here is more information about Mareks for your reference - http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/mareks-disease
In certain instances it is obvious that a bird has ocular Marek’s. An example:
CD887137-E977-422C-BD72-D4CB70C469F7.jpeg

This hen wasn’t born like this, and it’s only her one eye that’s affected. Also, she isn’t blind in that eye, so it’s unlikely to be an injury.

I am not saying it does not have Maraks. More birds have Maraks than most people think.

I would not diagnose that as Maraks based solely on that pupil. Other things can affect a chickens eye. Injuries are common.

The only sure way to tell if it’s Maraks is a necropsy.

I don’t worry about Maraks anymore, my birds are all vaccinated. And I am almost bird free, my last 18 should be gone by fall.

https://www.birdhealth.com.au/causes-of-eye-and-respiratory-symptoms

https://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/246963.pdf

Back
Top Bottom