I do everything backwards. Hello!

FransGran

Crowing
Jun 30, 2020
I guess I ought to have posted here first. I am learning the ropes as more of a participant. :love

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I got my first hen, Penny, a RIR, in 2017. She was living in an apartment complex in a city. She was feral, and had settled in a common area where people sometimes fed her scraps, but the scraps had drawn doves and the complex evicted her. She came to my landlady and to me. I lost her last year to a raccoon, and it took until this year for me to feel ready to start a flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Today we have three pullets, right around point of lay I think. They are Frances Hopper ("Fran"), a Buff Orpington; Hazel Copter (for her ability to jump right on top of anything, even as a little thing), a Bantam Mottled Cochin; and Nora Nutmeg, an Easter Egger.

IMG_5368.JPG

We also as of this week have four chicks: Nancy Pearl, a White Marans; Vera Linn, a Blue/Black/Splash Orpington; Peggy Annie, a Buckeye; and Maxine Wanda, a Dominique. They are allegedly all females (from Meyer). LOL time will tell. Here is NP:

Nancy Pearl Day One.jpg
(3) What breeds do you have?

Whoops! Here I go again. Directions are not always my strong suit. :idunno

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Honestly, I really love everything about it. When Penny came to us, I was shocked by how close I felt with her. When I lost her, I mourned her for a long time. I still mourn her.

Anyway, it adds so much to my life. It's hard to describe.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Cooking, baking, canning, reading

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a technical writer, copywriter, SEO/digital marketer, also some other things

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

This has always been a welcome source of information for me. I never thought about it as a community until very recently. It is now a cherished source of support.

Back
Top Bottom