I do not understand people! and how they can lie.

Rooting for you Holly!
Given what you found in the ordinance (rather, given what you did not find in the ordinance!) happily you don't need to put your feather-kids through the stress of even a temporary relocation.

One of the greatest human flaws is using power to no good. I have seen all too many local officials misbehave just because they can. Good for you for not allowing it. Shame on these folks.

Given the insanity of this whole thing, i.e., given that chickens aren't disallowed in the first place, you probably won't need to do what might have helped if the situation were more iffy, and that is collect testimonial letters from neighbors who don't mind or better yet, who enjoy that you have chickens.

Keep us posted!
JJ

Best wishes, on a side note if you win make sure they pay with their pockets and are sued for harassment and lawyer fees. When cash strapped cities (and most are now days) get hit with a lawsuit and are ordered to pay they often won't do stupid crap like this again.

I do have a back up plan.

A place to take my chickens on Vacation... Lucky little buggers. LOL

I also intend to be financially reimbursed for this Harassment I'm going through.

Never in their wildest dreams did they think they would encounter someone like me. LOL

I have never taken someones word as the Gospel Truth, and I have enough common sense to Realize when things are not adding up.

Thank you everyone. I'll keep you posted!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif

SWEEEEET!!!!
lol.png
ya.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Don't relocate your chickens.

They are going after you for practicing Animal Husbandry--in a very small way you are--about the same amount as someone with a small vegetable garden is farming. In a very general sense they are not wrong, but the scope is very different.

Look through the Agricultural Section and find things that reference the scope that they are outlawing. I believe that you will find that its purpose it to prevent large commercial endeavours in a residential neighborhood.

In preparation, define exactly what your chickens are for your family. As much as possible correlate that to more generally accepted pets/hobbies.

Take photos of your family members interacting with the chickens. Have any appropriately aged kids join 4H or FFA, and provide some of that information.

With luck the city council will back down at your next meeting, but don't count on it, especially if there are neighbors in opposition to your birds. The fact that the City Council allowed your neighbors to prevent you from speaking strikes me as a City Council who is not opperating in a professional unbiased manner. Either the person chairing the meeting cannot maintain control or chose to not keep order. With a lawyer you may get the respect and hearing you deserve, but you may well have to sue in court. You will certainly have to sue to get your expenses reimbursed, although the notice of your intent to sue may cause them to rethink their position.

You might ask the powers that be, particularly the city attorney and that officious cop, if they are familiar with the terms "abuse of process" and "malicious prosecution". Or better yet, have your attorney do it. Have him explain in simple language what those terms mean. You would have grounds for a lawsuit. Even though you may not intend to file one, they do not need to know that. It would do them good to sweat a little.

You might ask the powers that be, particularly the city attorney and that officious cop, if they are familiar with the terms "abuse of process" and "malicious prosecution"

Those are magic words that will wake them up quickly...LOL

Holly, you rock! Great job sticking with it.​

Back
Top Bottom