I don’t know how to build things but I’ll try anyway

Ok so I’ve made a decision as far as foundation goes. I like the idea of building on skids, so I’ve pivoted and today I began leveling the foundation. I have some of those concrete blocks that have been mentioned that are left over from building my house so I started digging up ground and placing those blocks so they would be level. Much easier than trying to level an entire patch of ground but still a lot of work in our heavy clay soil. So now I’ve leveled out my two skids across these blocks. Tomorrow I will be going to get some gravel to pour around the blocks and inside the blocks and fill the empty spaces.

I found this video which I’m basing my foundation build on, I found it very simple and easy to follow, even though I’m just building a 4x8 coop and not a shed.

I‘ll try to get a pic tomorrow if I finished building the foundation.

Ok here is the foundation finished. It is level (yay!) but it is not as square as I would like (I tried).
78D4050D-61C4-4615-97C4-83E8EFFFB479.jpeg

I’m hoping to start framing tomorrow which will take a bit more thought while I decide where I want roosts, nest boxes, etc. It can be stood on if you know where the joists are, but I wasn’t necessarily trying to make a walk in coop.

Bonus pic of the girls playing floor is lava because I just added new pine pellets to the run and they can’t believe I would do such a thing.

AD02BA7E-F93C-4A39-B934-3008BEECB7C9.jpeg

Another update:

Most of the framing is done, there are some bits I’m going to add for roosts, I’ve pretty much decided I’m only going to have a couple of internal nest boxes. I have to finish installing the top plates before I make a run for more wood for the roof. It’s definitely not perfect but it feels pretty sturdy to me.

0D1CF2F4-71CB-49F4-8E2D-EDD7C6C2D238.jpeg

0A2C0649-44DA-4809-9092-C3B4636B994A.jpeg

I plan to have one big door on one end and one half sized door on the other end to access the sand box beneath the roosts.

Welcome to BYC! This is such a friendly and supportive community. I am sure you will find the help you need, and friends besides. See how much great advice you already got?? Welcome
:frow
from Eastern Massachusetts! Best wishes with your building project and your chickens!! Take pictures... inquiring minds want to know.

I’ve been grappling with how to do the roof. I attempted some bird’s mouth cuts (poorly) and I have some hurricane ties to fasten them down. I also attempted to cut the ends of the rafters plumb, but I may have to trim a couple a little better, this is my first time using cutting tools of any kind so still trying to figure out the best ways to utilize them. The next thing I’ll do after fastening down the rafters is get some purlins and the metal/sun tuff roofing. Possibly I’ll have the purlins extend out about six inches on the sides to there’s some overhang there. I don’t know if I need fascia board at the top and bottom ends or I’m goI go to put like spacers between the rafters to keep excess rain out.

Don’t look too close, I know I made a lot of mistakes.

Attachments

• 2043C9D7-11D0-472B-BAB6-E40314FD73D6.jpeg
    2043C9D7-11D0-472B-BAB6-E40314FD73D6.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 6
  • BEA066AA-3FA4-4868-A5D5-0C6A22769009.jpeg
    BEA066AA-3FA4-4868-A5D5-0C6A22769009.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 6
Hmm...I saw you're in the south without a concern for snow load, but personally I'd do something about supporting that upper wall extension better than it is now.

In the pic you can see it's already cockeyed and that's only with rafters on it; I don't think those tie plates and whatever fasteners you have along the length of it are enough. Ideally that wall extension would have at least full-height 2x4s on the ends to tie it all together, but adding them now would make them protrude beyond the other walls and would likely complicate your exterior sheeting. Perhaps you could just triangulate back to the top plate with 2x4s, that should give it more strength than it has now

My roof is similar, I went without fascia boards on the front/rear; I put a purlin above the top plate and stapled hardware cloth to both pieces of wood to close it off from rodents and not my birds. Sides I went about 6" out from the walls with the purlins/roof panels. I haven't noticed any excess rain getting into the structure....but it's also been a pretty dry couple "winters" here in CA lately

I was a little worried about that, I wonder if I did a couple 2x4s from the floor to the top on the inside perpendicular to the studs if that would help? I know it would look awkward, but it’s a chicken coop so I don’t think the chickens would care. I’m not sure what you mean by triangulating back to the top plate?

Back
Top Bottom