I don' t get it.

duck4u

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
When my ducklings first hatched and fluffed up, I put them in warm water. They swam fine and never sunk and they would dip they're heads.
But they are 2 weeks old now. So I put them in warm water everyday. What happens is things are all settle. Then one starts to panic and thrash around causing him to sink and the other continues the loop. They wet themselves each time and have to be in the brooding box.
I just don't get it .When they where younger they had no problem swimming. But all of the sudden now they do?
y gooby....

Last edited:
When my ducklings first hatched and fluffed up, I put them in warm water. They swam fine and never sunk and they would dip they're heads.
But they are 2 weeks old now. So I put them in warm water everyday. What happens is things are all settle. Then one starts to panic and thrash around causing him to sink and the other continues the loop. They wet themselves each time and have to be in the brooding box.
I just don't get it .When they where younger they had no problem swimming. But all of the sudden now they do?
y gooby....
Sounds like they have no oils on their feathers. When they bath then preen they spread the oils from their oil gland all over their feathers. this is what keeps them from sinking when in the water. As far as not sinking when first hatched I have no idea because most ducklings when first hatched will water log pretty fast that's why we always suggest starting in shallow water.

I put them two days later when they hatched into deep water and their just fine.
I see my ducklings preening but I am not sure they have their oil glands working.

I don't see them preening their oil glands a lot though.
They look like their developing some bald spots. Could be new down or feathers?

I put them two days later when they hatched into deep water and their just fine.
I see my ducklings preening but I am not sure they have their oil glands working.
It should be working but at 2 weeks still getting it going I would think, but the more they are in water the more they will preen and get that oil gland going.

So put them in water to get them preening?
How do I do that?
The dishes are too small to bathe in, they panic in the large container with the large qualities of water, and when I try to put them in shallow water, they don't even preen.
They don't really preen their oil glands as much.

So put them in water to get them preening?
How do I do that?
The dishes are too small to bathe in, they panic in the large container with the large qualities of water, and when I try to put them in shallow water, they don't even preen.
They don't really preen their oil glands as much.
Letting them bath will get them to preening. how about a large container with water just to top of their legs? Preening and using their oil glands I have always seen comes natural.

Letting them bath will get them to preening. how about a large container with water just to top of their legs? Preening and using their oil glands I have always seen comes natural.

Yes to this. After my three ducks hop out of the water, one starts preening and the others immediately start as well. You don't have to have a lot of water; just enough for them to get wet with (and trust me, it takes VERY little for ducks to splash...lol.)

Also make sure the water is very warm, not cold :)

Last edited:
Yes to this. After my three ducks hop out of the water, one starts preening and the others immediately start as well. You don't have to have a lot of water; just enough for them to get wet with (and trust me, it takes VERY little for ducks to splash...lol.)
That's for sure they can splash in a cup full. LOL

Back
Top Bottom