1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I dont feel safe!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rooster brandon., Sep 17, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok me and my dad are building a new chicken coop and right next to our current coop is our storage building and its of the ground...........we are planning to build a new coop closer to the storage building and fence the bottom of the storage building in and let them roam under there......................But my quistion is what should i do i dont have any more good fence wire all i got is about 45 ft of chicken wire i dont like chicken wire its made to keep chickens in not to keep predators out.................Would it be safe to double layer it around the bottom of the storage building would that keep predators out...........what do i do............should i even use chicken wire can o racoon break through it..................................................................................lease help i dont want my chickens to be a meal for racoon's.......................please help..............[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Man, you really don't feel safe, posting this 3 times. [​IMG] [​IMG] Kidding, I know the post button can be quite tricky!
    I would not rely on chicken wire unless you have an electric wire around that. Too many predators can get through.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If you can get it, use 1/2" hardware cloth. We get it at Lowe's/Home Depot/Tractor Supply/Farmer's Co-op around here. Works great. Use a staple gun in 2 x 4 framing, no worries.

Good luck!

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you for the advice and for under standing about he post button..............................................thank you and god bless..........................i guess i will have to go buy some good fence wire..................[​IMG] oohh well anything to keep them safe..........

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I was talking to a lady today. She has been raising chickens for 15 years. She actually came by to buy some veggies & she looked at my coop which I constructed with chicken wire & I added a electric fence & said yea it looks good but what about the snakes. They will go right through the wire. I mentioned & don't know but she was saying that snakes can strangle the chickens. It seems to me that a chicken could defend itself from a snake.I raised wood ducks for years & never had a wood duck killed by a snake but lost plenty of eggs
    I guess I'm gonna go buy some hardware cloth & hopefully this will solve some problems with creating a safer life for the chickens.

6. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:This is the way! Spend a little more, worry a lot less.

7. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Also another possibility would be to check craigslist.com. They have a lot of stuff for free there. My husband just built our entire coop and run for a total of $40.

8. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes,.. that's a great idea,.. we found some stuff at the Habitat for Humanity re-store too.
    DH always says "chicken wire keeps chickens in,.. but nothing out!"

9. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    yeah im really am a ig user of craigslist.com................i love that site........

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:Only if you have boa constrictors or pythons roaming around. I'm not aware of any North American native snake that kills by strangulation/constriction. One that wants to eat a chicken will bite it and swallow it whole, possibly still alive. But you would really only have to worry if you have huge snakes or small chickens, most will just eat the eggs, it's an easier meal anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by