I don't have a little roo, do I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JennsPeeps, Mar 28, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I got Curry from the BO pullet bin. She has grown SO much faster than her BA brooder-mate.

These were taken tonight. Still too early to tell?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    still could be a girl

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks a lot like a golden comet and if so, she's a girl. My GC is a lot bigger than my EE's, it's those long legs and neck [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'd say roo. The pics are not clear enough to see comb
    development but the legs, posture, and overall size would
    make me guess roo.

Nice purple towel. I have one just like it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a buff orpington pullet and two black australorp pullets along with my other chicks. I am no expert on gender, but my black australorps are the slowest growers of my chicks. They look much smaller in comparison to the other breeds, including the BO. Maybe that is what is going on with yours. You BA is just smaller. How old are your chicks in the photos? They looked about like mind did around 3 weeks.

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I wouldn't worry too much at this point, Jeff's BO is the biggest of the bunch too.

(He and Jenn got chicks from the same place at the same time.)

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm just nervous about her being a him. I really like her personality and would hate to give her up.

Dena - Good to know that your DBF's BO is also the largest. Curry is just a little porker!!

GardeNerd - I got them on 3/11 & they were probably 2-3 days old at that time. These pics were taken on 3/27.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What a cute little ROO!

9. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    well im nto sure but i know when a chick first hatch you can tell by the wings. im nto sure howeveryone else is getting roo but i thought rooster got their feathers faster than hens, also i sometimes look at the comb but thats not always a way to tell and again the wings. strech its wing out and get a picture of it and ill see if i might have a good guess for you. hen will have a mixture of short and long feathers and rosters are all even! good luck![​IMG]

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:I believe it is the other way around. Pullets feather faster than roos. I would guess based on the feathering, and the length of her tail, that it is a girl. But it is still to early to really tell. I have 2 - 3 week old and 11 - 2 week old Buff Orp's in my brooder right now, and I am trying to figure out what it what. I have started tagging the ones that I think are girls with pink zip ties, based on how they are feathering out, so we will see if I am right or not.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by