I don't know how to go on. Please tell me what you think, my friends. -- NEW INFO AT END OF POST #1

My flock is positive for Marek's antibodies -- What do you think I should do?

• Keep everybody, but only as pets. Give up on the business all together. There is no way to salvage i

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Hatch chicks from the breeder's eggs, and vaccinate every chick. It would be fine to sell the vaccin

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Sell hatching eggs! Marek's isn't transferred through eggs, and it would be fine to sell them.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Try to find homes for the birds --  giving them away as "special needs" birds with full discloser th

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Same as above, but you'd have to move to another house before it would be safe to start over.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breed for resistance. Eventually you can begin to sell the healthy offspring.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Euthanize everybody now. Even if they seem strong and healthy. Everybody has to go. Period.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • The test is not reliable. Most birds have been exposed to Marek's anyway. The fact that they have Ma

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
What you are facing is something that all of us should consider - the question of what action we should consider/take if we are unlucky enough to be in that position - I am no expert, my flock are my pets and so I, in my own situation would keep mine ( within reason) - if any of mine were showing symptoms of degenerative problems I would not hesitate to cull for reasons of their quality of life - my responses are from my own emotive point and in no way are reflective of the very serious issues you face.

I had one chicken that showed signs of what appeared to be Marek's - her feet became contorted and her quality of life was ebbing away - I culled her as she was becoming rapidly disabled and had no prospect of living a normal life - on a lighter note she ate all of the strawberries in the garden, I wanted her to enjoy her last couple of days before the inevitable.

My thoughts are with you at this so very difficult time - I offer no advice - you have more knowledge than most... do whatever YOU feel is right for you and yours.

Suzie
hugs.gif

Suzie, what a thoughtful, caring response. Thank you for the support and helping me to trust my instincts, it means a great deal.

And I know what you mean -- even though I've been trying to start a business, they are still my babies and are really pets first.

Well, I called the UC Davis line and got transferred several times. I wound up leaving a message. The outgoing message said they return phone calls within 24 hours, so it may not be today but at least it's in progress.

What you are facing is something that all of us should consider - the question of what action we should consider/take if we are unlucky enough to be in that position - I am no expert, my flock are my pets and so I, in my own situation would keep mine ( within reason) - if any of mine were showing symptoms of degenerative problems I would not hesitate to cull for reasons of their quality of life - my responses are from my own emotive point and in no way are reflective of the very serious issues you face.

I had one chicken that showed signs of what appeared to be Marek's - her feet became contorted and her quality of life was ebbing away - I culled her as she was becoming rapidly disabled and had no prospect of living a normal life - on a lighter note she ate all of the strawberries in the garden, I wanted her to enjoy her last couple of days before the inevitable.

My thoughts are with you at this so very difficult time - I offer no advice - you have more knowledge than most... do whatever YOU feel is right for you and yours.

Suzie
hugs.gif

Suzie, that was beautifully put! I agree with you on this. I want my babies to have quality of life and they are my pets.

ICallMyselfCherie', my thoughts also are with you. You have given us all something very serious to think about and maybe we will have some idea of what we would do if the situation were to come up on our farms. Gob bless you in this difficult time!

ICallMyselfCherie', my thoughts also are with you. You have given us all something very serious to think about and maybe we will have some idea of what we would do, if the situation were to come up on our farms. God bless you in this difficult time!

ICallMyselfCherie', my thoughts also are with you. You have given us all something very serious to think about and maybe we will have some idea of what we would do, if the situation were to come up on our farms. God bless you in this difficult time!
Thank you, Kara. I truly hope none of you will ever have to deal with this situation on your own farms, but God forbid you should, I hope the feedback and information I receive here will help in some way. You all have helped me see all the options so much more clearly, and the more answers I receive the more I feel that the situation is not truly hopeless. Thank you, everyone!

I have a question, Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks as chicks? If they were, I would assume they would show antibodies for Mareks since they do inject the actual live virus from what I have read. Just a thought to consider that maybe if you did vaccinate then what your are seeing is the antibodies from the vaccine???

I have a question, Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks as chicks? If they were, I would assume they would show antibodies for Mareks since they do inject the actual live virus from what I have read. Just a thought to consider that maybe if you did vaccinate then what your are seeing is the antibodies from the vaccine???
That's a good thought, these birds haven't been vaccinated, though. But it could be that they do have resistance, somehow. That's the problem with the test. I posted some new information at the end of the first post, though! Perhaps it will be helpful . . .? :)

Back
Top Bottom