I don't know if I can do this...

the first is the worse.
i use a cut up kitty litter jug as a cone, fender washers to hold it to a post.
a pvc pipe cutter to remove the head,
harder to cut fingers

no shame to take them in to a processor. i would if it was closer to me...but its a 5 hr round trip
excellent methodology. Our kitty litter comes in a box, but I can find something close.
I'll try this next. Thanks...

1714490727059.png

Using an "almost" sharp enough axe was not good. 5 whacks if 4 too many.
Were you cutting into the grain of the wood or across the grain? If you use something like a stump your axe goes through the neck and sinks into the stump, cutting the head off. If you use something like a 2x12 you are cutting across the grain so your axe won't penetrate as well, likely bouncing back. You often do not get a clean cut. Don't ask how I know.

I had a horrible first go with culling chickens when I was a kid with my dad. I learned in a rather traumatic way that the saying “running around like a chicken with its head cut off” is a very literal one. Fast forward 45 years and I’m raising chickens with my kids (almost 10 years now, and wanting not to pass on the same bad memories. Still, after much preparation, all went well until the plucking, with a drill bit plucker. I ended up getting covered, from head to toe with chicken crap… I basically never wanted to eat another chicken again in my whole life.

On the bright side, I regrouped and planned even better the next time, making adjustments to help avoid the elements that grossed me out the first time… I bought a yard bird chicken plucker, and it’s been worth every penny. The things that have also really turned out to be critical for me are, a razor sharp knife, kill cones, and a leg hanger to allow me to butcher with one leg secured. Don’t despair, instead, as they say in sailing, keep tacking (adjusting the sail). With a few more tries it gets a lot better.

As an aside, Cornish cross mature to harvest weight before the roosters become aggressive. They are ready for freezer camp in 6-8 weeks, and are in general quite docile.
my mom's first time butchering chickens, she used the wrong size cone, and she was barely able to get the Cornish Cross to fit!

Sounds like me yesterday. I'm going to try the feet tied up on a limb and slice the throat next. Using an "almost" sharp enough axe was not good. 5 whacks if 4 too many. I also did a rake over the neck and pull for a favorite rooster who became paralyzed. I only have 3 or 4 roosters to go. I'm going to try skinning without plucking. Try again. Pace yourself and next time maybe do 10 chickens instead of 20 so it's not such a daunting task. Good luck.
You want a razor blade sharp knife. They make game processing kits with replaceable razor blade knife blades. I tie my chickens up to a tree with wire on the feet, the wire you use to secure chain link fabric to topline poles. Use a cut-proof glove or chain mail gauntlet like they use in the food service industry to protect your non-cutting hand. Broomstick method only works for me on 5-6 week old CX - I'm not strong enough to do it on older birds. Skinning without plucking first is super easy, especially if you've done any skinning at all, and saved me half an hour of processing time per bird. CX are easiest to skin, the older birds have stronger connective tissue, but it can be done. I discard the wingtips with the skin, and cut off the head as the last skinning step. I cover the processing tree with a large cut open garbage bag which I wash with soap and water so I have a clean surface to work against. I also give mine a post-mortem bath with dish-soap once on the tree if their buts and legs are dirty. i'm probably overdoing it, but that makes me feel better about things. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom