I don't know if they're scared or sick

No I don't think so. Blood would dry very dark, maybe even blackish. I'm so sorry. My heart breaks for you. It's been 1 week since I lost my sweet girl. You'll be in my thoughts. Wishing you the best with your girls

sorry for your loss . it does sound like they havent had much sleep . something it sounds like was trying to get them . qnd will be back . if nothing can get in where they are keep them in for a while they are good about knowing that a predator was around so they are tired and upset too scared . now one of their sisters is gone they will be sad i would give them some b complex and e vitamins just to boost their help. plz watch them very closely right now something is waiting to harm them . sometimes you can even have a human enemy. just be causius

I agree with @sourland , it does sound like t hey were scared by something in the air. After a hawk attack several years ago in which I lost one bird, the others took days to return to normal. They were traumatized and very spooked and refused to leave the covered run for days.

Poor things.. At least they aren't sick. Is there anything I can do to help, or should I just give them space and keep an eye on them?

I gave her water, and she drank a little on her own.
IMG_20200809_130831.jpg
IMG_20200809_130943.jpg

She's in the coop now where I guess she'd be more comfortable. When I put her in it, she walked around for a bit, pooped (it was runny and dark) and settled next to a wall by the door. I gave her the little water bowl and made sure she knew it was there.

Keep an eye on them. If it's hot where you are the stress will just add to what they already have. Make sure they have plenty of fresh, cool water in places they are comfortable going to get it. If you can give them some places to hide, it may make them more comfortable (just make sure they can't be cornered).

Also, would it be normal for her to want to sleep in the area she hides in? The two hens who seem to be affected tend to close their eyes for like half an hour, then open them, look around (sometimes peck or scratch their beak on the dirt), move a bit, then rest again.

--At work and I asked my mom about the WR and if she's ok. She moved out of the coop and is still hiding.

I'm so sorry 😔 did she pass away or did she go missing?

She passed away. :(

You mentioned her poop was dark and runny. Any chance you can take a white paper towel, tissue and pick it up. The white will make it obvious, just in case it's blood. I only say this because I just went through something similar. If I didn't get the poop on a white paper towel, I probably just would have thought it was dark.
I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you virtual hugs

I scraped it up just now, and it didn't look red in any place. It was from yesterday, though. Could it have dried since then and turned brown?

Back
Top Bottom