i dont know what day of incubation im on

Kiwi02

Hatching
May 17, 2023
about three weeks ago, possibly four, a duck abandonded her eggs and i took them in (the mother didnt come back for two days)

They were on a heating pad for about 3 days, with no signs of life, and then for another week.
on week two of being on a heating pad, one started to develoup veins. i candle it daily.

today the veins seem to be shrinking, and theres always a blob moving around in the egg. the blob is small though, im assuming its the embryo. the air bubble seems to be getting bigger as well.

i dont know which day i should count as the first day of incubation, because i think the heating pad was too cold for the first week. do i count it from the day i brought them inside or from when i first noticed veins. Im asking because i dont know when i need to stop rotating the egg.

thanks!

I think they're dead, sorry.
they should be hatched by now had they had momma on them but after so long at so low they aren't likely to live.
Thats what i thought but the one eggs embryo gets bigger everyday and moves without me touching the egg at all. The others never developed but this one seems to be going through the stages of a normal egg development, just really slowly.

is it a bad idea to keep it incubating just in case there is life? Theres no blood ring or foul smell, and the egg isnt getting dark

Thats what i thought but the one eggs embryo gets bigger everyday and moves without me touching the egg at all. The others never developed but this one seems to be going through the stages of a normal egg development, just really slowly.

is it a bad idea to keep it incubating just in case there is life? Theres no blood ring or foul smell, and the egg isnt getting dark
Can you get pictures?
If it is alive, developing at this rate, it's highly unlikely that the duckling will be formed enough to live.

Can you get pictures?
If it is alive, developing at this rate, it's highly unlikely that the duckling will be formed enough to live.
I went to work this morning and it was moving, but im home now and there seems to be no movement, and the yold around it seems to move slightly more.

My pictures npdont really show the veins, or much of anything unfortunately, as my camera quality is not great.

the first picture shows the embryo against the yolk (ring?). there was always a clearer citrcle around the embryo but it seems to have moved towords the edge of the yolk

Attachments

• 20230518_151204.jpg
    20230518_151204.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230518_150908.jpg
    20230518_150908.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230518_150841.jpg
    20230518_150841.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230518_151257.jpg
    20230518_151257.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 8
I went to work this morning and it was moving, but im home now and there seems to be no movement, and the yold around it seems to move slightly more.

My pictures npdont really show the veins, or much of anything unfortunately, as my camera quality is not great.

the first picture shows the embryo against the yolk (ring?). there was always a clearer citrcle around the embryo but it seems to have moved towords the edge of
It might be alive but I'm not sure it has much of a chance with it being this behind, the yolk might run out before it hatches.

It might be alive but I'm not sure it has much of a chance with it being this behind, the yolk might run out before it hatches.
The yolk is still plenitful but the embryo hasnt moved at all since yesterday. im worried i might have killed it when rotating it, and got it tangled in its embilical cord :(

should i take it off of the heating pad now, or does no movement not necessarily mean its dead

wont hurt anything to leave it incubating and recheck in a week .. the 'blob' should be obviously bigger .. i do it all the time with suspect eggs, sometimes they surprize you ..

Back
Top Bottom