I dont know what is wrong

Drema1991

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2020
I thought maybe it was maggots but after soaking the chicken to remove the "maggots" I realized what I was looking at was just apart of her skin so now I'm not sure what to do to help her

Attachments

• 20211022_130717.jpg
    20211022_130717.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211022_130713.jpg
    20211022_130713.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 1
I would get her a saddle to help with the wound healing. It looks like she is being pecked. Down under makes a good one and it's on amazon. Avoid giving her full baths unless it's absolutely necessary. It can remove the oil from the feathers and make it harder for them to keep warm. Just monitor the wound and her behavior at this point. The saddle will help it heal.

You may also want to add some grower feed into the mix, as it has more protein. Hens will peck new feather growth if they are not getting enough. Also ensure they have enough roost space and are not pecking each other at night.

Best wishes!

I thought maybe it was maggots but after soaking the chicken to remove the "maggots" I realized what I was looking at was just apart of her skin so now I'm not sure what to do to help her
Either way, there is a wound. Get some ORIGINAL neosporin with NO pain-killer or some verterycin and apply some on the wound. Is she getting over mated?

I would get her a saddle to help with the wound healing. It looks like she is being pecked. Down under makes a good one and it's on amazon. Avoid giving her full baths unless it's absolutely necessary. It can remove the oil from the feathers and make it harder for them to keep warm. Just monitor the wound and her behavior at this point. The saddle will help it heal.

You may also want to add some grower feed into the mix, as it has more protein. Hens will peck new feather growth if they are not getting enough. Also ensure they have enough roost space and are not pecking each other at night.

Best wishes!
Thank you I will et her one I'm keeping her inside for now since we live in Kentucky and it's cold at night

Back
Top Bottom