I don't know what's wrong help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TAMMACLEAN, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TAMMACLEAN

TAMMACLEAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    I just found my hen like this. Any ideas what could be wrong???? I am going to give her a warm bath and put some neosporin on it. Any other ideas???

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I was unable to see pictures, describe what happen ?

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sorry, would love to help but there are no pictures.....

4. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    Well I thought I posted it. I found her with a wound on her backside. I don't know if the other girls picked on her and pulled her skin off. She's resting inside the house now after her bath and neosporin. [​IMG]

5. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I had a three-day-old chick get attacked by a hen and it resulted in a very similar wound on her back. The hen basically scalped the chick. I isolated the chick on clean bedding with food and water in a warm place, and put Neosporin on the wound after cleaning it. The chick healed in about two weeks, with me reapplying the Neosporin any time the wound started to look all crackly and dry. Now you can't even tell the chick was hurt at all. It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I'm guessing that's what happened.... It doesn't look like there's any bites or puncture marks from the photo.....

6. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    No there doesn't look like she was bitten, just picked at. I think it's time to invest in some stuff to keep them from plucking feathers. Between that and some molting I've got half naked chickens! And it's freezing!! I've been putting bag balm and Vaseline on their skin to try and keep them from getting frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by