I don't know what's wrong

maneuvers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
My chicken is 10 weeks old. I found her laying down in the run. She stays on her back and won't get up. Legs move but she is shaking a little. She will drink from a dish and eat off the ground. I checked for live/mites and see nothing. The other 4 look fine.

Could she have eaten something rotten like an animal carcass, maggots, or decayed vegetation? Did she have a Mareks vaccination? Is there any poison or lead paint chips in the area? Unfortunately she may have Mareks disease, but botulism is also possible. She needs to be placed in a small confined area close to food and water. Is she having any diarrhea or green stools?

I got her from hatchery and she has had all vaccines. Poo looked white/green and a big amount came out while she was laying

No access to anything as she was locked in the coop. I've had them all about a month now and haven't let them out yet. It's been raining here up until 2 days ago. Days are around 60 deg. I fed them wheat fodder and some fresh chard but that was over a week ago. I put her in a storage tub with bedding and will see how it goes

I would give her supportive care for the time being. I hope she doesn't have Mareks, but sometimes the vaccine fails, they get exposed before immunity takes place in 2 weeks, or she didn't get the vaccine.

Day 2 nothing has changed. She is still laying in the box with some water and food. Hope she makes it till tomorrow I guess

I would give electrolytes with a broad spectrum of vitamins. It could rule out a vitamin deficiency and wouldn't hurt.

Check your feed and water and litter. Better yet, change your feed entirely with a different store and brand. If it is botulism, then giving your other chickens that feed may be a ticking time bomb and that would be the few things they have access to that could become moldy. Changing the litter and water is advised too.

Give Epsom salt drip to chicken's crop. Treatment: Antitoxin available from vet but expensive. If found early try 1 teaspoon Epsom salts dissolved in 1 ounce warm water dripped into crop several times a day. It's from chickens for dummies on botulism.

Also scrub everything thoroughly

The only way Marek's vaccine would fail is if it was expired or not given at all. That being said both are unlikely. Hatcheries go thru marek's vaccines like candy and it be bad for business if their chicks came down with mareks. The chicken is 10 weeks it has immunity. Unless it is the "zebra" (1%) of a case where it didn't work.

Also hand feeding is advised

I know some vitamin deficiency and botulism can mimic each other but both treatments are separate.

Last edited:
No access to anything as she was locked in the coop. I've had them all about a month now and haven't let them out yet. It's been raining here up until 2 days ago. Days are around 60 deg. I fed them wheat fodder and some fresh chard but that was over a week ago. I put her in a storage tub with bedding and will see how it goes
Could the wheat fodder have a problem with mold or fungus?

Back
Top Bottom