I don't know where to start, my duck isn't fairing well

I let him swim around in a small stock tank for about 45 minutes today, I'm going to try to do this everyday. Yes I am giving him niacin. I do keep him indoors,so it could be vitamin d, I will try and go get some vitamin d today, I'll also try letting him outside more often. Still no luck on the nutri-drench though.

I feel that some kind of poultry vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic would do a good job, at least better than nothing.

The TSC that carries this is a bit of a hike away for me - I only get there once or twice a year. I suppose you could call and see if you can mail order?

Good for you for staying on top of this, It's so tough to figure these things out sometimes.

This has been very tough to figure out, especially since this is my first duck. I don't think I would be making any progress without all the support on here.

Quote:
Another reason i like Nutri drench, and i know your having a problem finding it, is you can give it directly in the mouth. which gets it into them quick. But like Amiga says said He may have rickets ,and getting him outside when sunny may help. and swimming will help to strengthen the legs. I wouldn't let him do alot of walking though it will put a strain on his legs until they are stronger. Swimming will be the best for now. With swimming be sure to stay close by too in case he tires out and needs to get out. Wouldn't want him/her to drown from exhaustion. Your the greatest for sticking with your duck and helping it recover.

I have found liquid niacin that has a dropper so I've been giving him that by mouth. And I found a vitamin d pill that's small enough I think I might be able to make him eat it. If I can't get him to take the pill I might have to try the cat kibble.

Can I give him a little milk to get him more calcium in case it is the rickets? I was able to get the pill down him it did take some work though.

Quote:
I don't think cows milk is good for them, but buttermilk would be excellent since it's fermented and would increase probiotics he needs also.

Back
Top Bottom