1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't think I am supposed to have Pheonix!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Quail_Antwerp, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Fynn, my 4 month old phoenix roo, passed away this morning.

Yesterday he got in with the goats and managed to get himself trampled. We were surprised because the chickens don't normally go in the goat's area, just around the pen and buildings.

We had found him, cleaned his wounds, and separated him from everyone else. I doctored up his own little quarters so he has plenty of food, water, and soft soft bedding.

This morning he was curled up in a corner and was gone. When my pullet had died at 2 weeks I grieved so hard that my mom replaced her for me with 2 pullets.

I can't, won't, replace Fynn. He was one of my favorites, and the Phoenix was the breed that intriqued me the most. I loved my Fynn!!

[​IMG]

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful.

3. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    So sorry about your little roo. ErinM

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Are you thinking about maybe keeping your flock in their run all the time now? That might be a tough decision to make if you enjoy free ranging...

5. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    The thing is, I just started free ranging not too long ago. I asked my husband if we could incorporate small wire around the goat pen so they can't get under the fencing in with the goats. He said he will check into it.

Today I only let out my buff orps and the Sussex. They don't like going near the goats, so they don't even go to that side of the property.

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so sorry. It's very hard to lose a favorite. He was a beautiful bird.

Anne

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I am so very attached to my Golden phoenix too. I would just be devastated if he died. My condolences to you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by