I dont think my roo is going to make it.--UPDATE

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
sad.png
I just went out to check on him and he isnt looking so well. He was on the bottom roost, that is not his spot, and he was alone, the girls were up on the other roosts. There is blood in his poo under him. And the girls have pecked at his back so much that he has a opened wound on him. Luckily his feathers are covering the spot. My husband is going to build him a temp cage in the garage tomorrow. Hopefully he will pull through. I wormed him today. He is 23 weeks old and from what Ive read it shouldn't be Cocci. I already lost a hen this week and Im not sure why, I dont want to lose my Scooby Roo!!!!

UPDATE!!! He made it through the night! I really didnt think he would. He has crowed a few times this morning. We are continuing to keep an eye on him, i have the dogs crate ready for him if we need to pull him out.

Last edited:
If he has blood in his stool, it is not from being pecked by the hens. He has parasites that needs to be treated as soon as possible. I prefer Corid over Sulmet. Don't under estimate the power of coccidiosis, if you have already lost one hen this week, I would be very suspicious ........

He will not get over coccidiosis on his own if he is already this sick.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had started them on Corrid yesterday, but I keep hearing that he should have built up immunities because of his age. I have read so much lately I dont know what to believe. I guess the good thing is that he is drinking water, havent seen him eat though. I just want him to hang on till morning so we can get him seperated.

Another change. Not a good one. He was doing better, even let him out of the run to free range for an hour. Moving slowly, still not mounting the girls but he had crowed a few times this morning. I went to pick up my daughter from school, was gone 30 minutes. When i came back he was in the corner face in. His back (spot that the girls had been pecking) was red and bleeding. I seperated him, put him in a bin with a grated cover. I need to figuere out how to get water in there. I think i will need to get a bigger bin.

Im really surprised that his girls would treat him so badly. :-(

They know he's sick and for some reason they do stuff like this. I hope you can pull him out of this. He doesn't need to go back with the rest until he's 100%. It's very good that he's drinking. Have you tried giving him plain yogurt or scrambled egg?

nuttyredhead - I have limited experience with chickens and most of what I know I learned from reading. I just searched coccidiosis and found this information which comes from the University of Maine (link below). It says that chickens of all ages can come down with coccidiosis, although 4-16 week old chickens are most commonly affected. Perhaps treatment for cocci as enola suggested is what your rooster needs. I hope he gets better - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/PDFpubs/2259.pdf

Back
Top Bottom