I don't think this is normal...

If it's an infected wound it's past the point where neosporin is going to do anything. You'd need to remove the scab and clean the pus out of the abscess. But I agree with Eggcessive that it could also be cancerous. How long did it take to get like that? Is the bump hard or slightly pliable?

I hope it is not cancer, but it looks like one. A vet would have to perform a necropsy to confirm it. The tell tale sign is the dark crater inside the mass. They can show up in different areas of the body. Broiler chickens can commonly have numerous ones on their bodies when they are being processed. Here is how those craters start out looking:

1670729728832.jpeg

It is right next to the eye. There is no bandaid I know of that can safely and securely be put so close to a bird eye, except for vet quality stuff. The bird will try it's hardest to get the object off it's face if it thinks it can. Wich can possibly end up with more scratches.

If you know of a way to do so please tell us? I have had need of one before myself.

Also, when using things like neosporin and peroxide, be extremely careful not to get peroxide in the eye, it can cause damage to the eye.

Yeah, so what are you thinking as of treating it?
And is it treatable?
Clean with chlorahexasine /nolvasan ( you can get at pharmacy ( hebaclens)or at feed stores) don't get in eyes. Use very warm water, then put warm hot Epsom salt water and holding at leasttwiceaday..then PLAIN NEOSPORIN/TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC you have to be careful not toget the one with pain relief ( you shouldn't use the one with pain relief unless directed by a licensed veterinarian as they are not safe for all species)

If it feels soft.

Take a sewing needle, put the tip to a flame for a few seconds, let it cool down. Then use the needle to puncture the swelling, kind of like popping a blister. I'm thinking there's pus in there. You'll need to gently squeeze the pus out. There might be a little blood with pus.
Once pus is gone, soak a qtip with hydrogen peroxide to clean the area and the hole you made. Then layer neosporin on that spot.

Back
Top Bottom