1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't want to buy eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Erin K, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    My pullets are not laying yet. That's fine, they should take their time.

But I'm down to ONE store egg. [​IMG] I kinda want to make a stand and not buy store eggs. I mean I have spent $200 on chickens this month, I don't need to spend $2 on a package of lame eggs.

On the other hand eggs are my FAVORITE food. And that's before I even had fresh farm eggs.

So I'm torn. Do I buy eggs even though they will taste like resentment or do I just go on an egg fast until my girls start laying?

I wish I had a local friend who would sell me some of their eggs. [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    lol...try buying just 6...

How old are your chickens? How close are they to POL?

3. chics n more

chics n more Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    Well I don't know if it will work but we got our first egg the 1st day after I gave in and bought a dozen!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sadly, it may not be your last carton, so go ahead an buy them. It's worse buying eggs AFTER your hens/pullets are laying...lol. But if they all hit a molt at the same time (combined with the short days of winter), there's a good chance it'll happen [​IMG] I had to buy one carton last winter - and THAT hit home.

5. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I just got my 2nd egg last night from our girl ... and she's just over 5 mos old. I wasn't expecting it this soon ... but we only had a few store bought eggs left in the carton and I have hated to keep buying them. [​IMG] So now we have TWO fresh eggs and hopefully once the last couple store eggs are gone I won't have to buy anymore ... unless we run out of fresh ;P (they are small - our girls is an banty [​IMG])

I say just buy the 6 like someone suggested and hope that your girls start laying soon [​IMG] How old or they?

6. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:6 months Nancy
    5 months Baby
    4 months Clara

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I only have 3 hens and 1 isn't laying so I get 2 eggs a day. I make sure if I do need to buy eggs I buy the cage-free eggs. Buy 1/2 doz and see what happens. Good luck.

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a lot of eggs, so when my six girls were getting close to laying, I hated to buy any more store-bought eggs. They had been squatting for a while and had been singing the egg song for at least three weeks, but no eggs. Kroger had a great sale on 18 count eggs, so in desperation (my fresh beets were ready and I wanted to make pickled eggs) I bought two cartons--3 dozen store-bought eggs. I used a dozen to make pickled eggs and the very next day I got my first egg. After eating that first gloriously delicious homegrown egg, I could not bear the thought of eating another store bought egg, so after a couple of weeks and enough real eggs, I boiled up those two dozen store eggs and fed them to the chicks I am raising. I even felt guilty feeding those inferior eggs to the chicks, but couldn't just waste them.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:6 months Nancy
    5 months Baby
    4 months Clara

wow, Nancy should be laying...

Baby is right there, and Clara is still a bit off...

My youngest to lay is 20 weeks, the oldest is 24 weeks...

How red are the combs? Can you post a couple pics of nancy and baby?

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you buy some eggs from a local farmer? Or, why don't you just buy some really expensive, brown eggs from the grocery store....That might make ya feel better......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by