I dont want to get rid of them!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my5hens, Nov 1, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    But I may have to! Because their coop is stinky! I clean it daily and it still smells bad. None of my hens are sick they just poop everywhere. Its attracting flies too. My neighbors are going to get mad at me. [​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Oh no! [​IMG] isnt there something you can do?!

3. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I always spread a little bit of lime stone in the coop and in the run. It helps alot.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Put their water outside the coop. The poop hardly smells at all when it is dry. Are you using bedding material? I also use lime when I have a stinky area. Try some fly traps.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of bedding do you use? Try rice hulls with some sweet PDZ stall freshener. And, use fly tapes plus the fly parasites to reduce flies, or, set-up an automatic fly spray system.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    No I havent been using bedding but thats a good idea! In fact I think I may already have some in my garage!

What is the limestone and where do I get it?

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Chicken poo smells ... like ... chicken poo. Some people don't mind it, others really have an issue with it. You might want to consider putting sand in their coop. The poop doesn't sink into it and you can scoop the poop out, which would cut down on the smell. Also, hang vanilla scented car air fresheners. Flies stay away from those.
    Good luck -

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

You really need bedding. Just cleaning daily doesn't help the smell, as you've seen.
    I have 29 meat chicks and 20 hens right now with almost no smell. Dry bedding is the key.

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:pine shaveing well help too if ur not useing bedding at all

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Use the type of lime you get for your soil, at a garden center or feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by