I dropped a egg I'm incubating!! :(

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
I can't believe myself! I was candling a egg and I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR! It cracked on the air sac side, and I don't think it broke the membrane. (This is before it cracked) Is it supposed to smell like when you have chicks in a brooder? Also the egg sacs moves around. Is it dead? If its not can you tell me how to fix it and if it will live?

I can't believe myself! I was candling a egg and I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR! It cracked on the air sac side, and I don't think it broke the membrane. (This is before it cracked) Is it supposed to smell like when you have chicks in a brooder? Also the egg sacs moves around. Is it dead? If its not can you tell me how to fix it and if it will live?
Correction: hard boiled eggs!?

I dropped an egg with the current hatch when I candled for the first time at about 5 or 6 days. Of course it was fertile! Not a bad crack... but a crack. I used wax to close the cracks and kept an extra close eye on the egg. So far it has gone into lockdown and it was still alive. Let's see if the little guy will hatch come Monday.

I pitch any eggs that smell rank for fear that they'll explode in my incubator
That I might be what I have to do... it is making the whole room it is in smell. But it is on day 5 and has development. What could have killed it? Humidity and temperature are fine, and I put it in the incubator a 3 days after I collected it.
I dropped an egg with the current hatch when I candled for the first time at about 5 or 6 days. Of course it was fertile! Not a bad crack... but a crack. I used wax to close the cracks and kept an extra close eye on the egg. So far it has gone into lockdown and it was still alive. Let's see if the little guy will hatch come Monday.
Did your egg smell weird after it cracked?

That I might be what I have to do... it is making the whole room it is in smell. But it is on day 5 and has development. What could have killed it? Humidity and temperature are fine, and I put it in the incubator a 3 days after I collected it.

No. It was still early in development. Now there is a smell when the chicks hatch.. I don't know how far along your eggs was. I assumed your chick was alive after you dropped the egg. Can you see the chick move inside?
If it is and the air sac moves you could have it hatch standing up by putting it in a egg carton... or part of an egg carton.
But sometimes there is too much damage and it's better to let the chick go.

It's a muscovy egg on day 5, so only veins that move as I turn it. I think I might toss it. I'll decide in the morning.

you would need to candle the egg to check whether it is alive or not. Check for veins and movement. If there is a blood ring, no movement, veins broken down and bad smell then toss the egg, it risks exploding in the incubator if it is left which would endanger the rest of the eggs.
If it is alive, somehow, then use a non toxic glue, or candle wax to seal the crack.
And don't beat yourself up too much about it, we all make mistakes, just try to be more careful in future 😊
If the bad smell was instant after the crack, I would guess that the embryo was already passed.

Back
Top Bottom