I dropped the baby!

crossgirl

Day Dream Believer
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Lakeland, FL
I'm new at this and not doing very well. Out of three, one has died and I've dropped another. The tiniest little two week old silkie managed to just slide out of my hands without my noticing. I was holding the frizzle also, after some outdoors in the sun time, both close against my chest so they couldn't fall and yet she slipped through somehow and fell about four feet to a wood floor. This was yesterday. She was a bit dazed of course. I put her and her buddy and a feather duster into their brooder and she survived the night. This morning I was surprised that she was still with us but noticed that she's unsteady on her feet. Bonnie, her friend, who is three times her size, knocks her down and the she can't get up, or she trips getting into the food dish and flounders there. I found her in the chick waterer stuck. She is eating and drinking. I haven't observed pooping yet, I've been at work all day but this morning she did have a pasty butt that I cleaned off. If I put her on her feet, she's fine, scrambles around and seems fine but if she gets tipped over, she's stuck. I've seperated the two although it's breaking both their hearts. One bin is on top of the other so they can talk to each other. Has anyone had this happened? Can a chick survive something like that? Would I know if she had internal bleeding? There's nothing unusual about her tushie or beak, no fluid leaking or antyhing. Eyes are bright. Chirping. I just feel so terrible. I wanted to take family leave at work today to come watch her. My guy says she doesn't weigh enough for it to have been a hard impact and her wings would have slowed her down although she doesn't have much in the wing way being silkie and all. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Silkies are fragile with their vaulted skull and at 2 weeks there is not enough wing to slow down anything. There are some on here that have treated silkie head injuries maybe do a search. Good luck and I hope your little one makes it.

Thank you. I don't think she hit the top of her head but it all happened so fast. I guess her head would be the heaviest part of her and so would land first. She was just sprawled out on her back. I searched dropping, I'll go back and check the head injury threads.

I am really sorry this happened to you. ANyone can have an accident. Honestly, there isn't much you can do if there is a head injury or anything internal. Just keep doing supportive things like get her to eat and drink, keep her warm and try to keep her from being trampled by the other chick. It sounds like you are already doing these things. It is very hopeful that she survived this long. Hang in there and she may surprise you.
hugs.gif

Thank you ,chickengirl. She made it through another night. I think I got a little vitamin E into her and will get some Polyvisol today. I think she may have slept standing up all night though. She's exactly like I left her when I went to bed.

I appreciate you checking in Chickengrl. I'll keep updating here in case this comes up for someone else down the line. Lola is still with us! She doesn't want to sit/squat, has been standing non stop near as I can tell for 24 hours. I've added vitamins to her water and put some on her beak. Offered cat and dog food with no success. She eagerly gobbled up yogurt with ground chick crumbles on it. She also eats her ground crumbles on her own from her saucer but has trouble stepping out of it. Because of this it's become a nest-buffet. I have to put her by the water and dip her head in but she will drink then. She had developed a tick of sorts, twitching her head around, but that has not been observed since the start of vitamins. Crossing fingers. I let her visit with her buddy today, Bonnie of the big stompy feet who misses her dearly. But she still needs to remain seperated for her own safety.

Update: No more head ticks. She'll drink on her own if I put her near the water dish. Eats like a champ! Preenign too. Still giving her vitamins in her water and two doses in her beak daily along with vitamin E. Poor thing looks like a show girl because the vitamins and E oil get all over her neck area and matt the feathers down. Only obvious thing wrong, other than the mess is that she falls down when trying to scratch. I think we're making good progress. I hope she doesn't end up being a roo!!!

Back
Top Bottom