I feel a huge loss.

chickeninfested

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Our favorite hen died suddenly this weekend. I went out to close the pop door sun night, and she just didn't seem right. I brought her in and kept her warm, but she wouldn't eat or drink. She was breathing easy and I could find no wounds, but she was very lethargic. I called several vets, but it was nightime and no one would see her. She died during the night after clucking softly to us. My son is heartbroken, this hen did everything with him. She went on walks with us, sat with us, even went out to dinner with us often. (we live on an island, and many places are very casual). The hurtful thing is, no one gives ua any sympathy, they say, oh well, it was just a chicken, or even make jokes. Our grief and pain are real, we really loved our girl. We have other chickens, but right from the start, this hen decided to be part of the family. I miss her so much, and I wish someone understood my sorrow. I d n't know what caused her sudden illness, I could not help her and I hurt so much.

OH, there are plenty of members here who understand your feelings......Chickens can be so personable and delightful! So sorry you lost your special family member!

hugs.gif

Sincerely,
Sharon

Oh no...I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's really difficult to lose one of our feathered babies, especially when they are so close to us. I really can't stand it when people have the nerve to tell me "it's just a chicken." Well my "just a chicken" means as much or more to me than "just your dog or cat, or whatever." Try not to let that get to you. There are tons of us here who feel just like you do. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and may your girl rest peacefully.
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss, but i would have loved to went out to eat with your whole family. It may take a while but you will come across another special one, not just like her, but special in it's own way.
hugs.gif

I always think of those chickens as having gone to the Sunny Meadow, where there is perfect soil for dust-bathing, plenty of grubs and bugs for every chicken, and the freshest puddles from which to drink freely.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my favorite hen, Chipmunk, over Christmas. I don't cry over chickens, but my daughter and I sobbed our eyes out together over this girl. It was a huge blow. I has helped us to talk about the silly things she used to do that made her so endearing to us. It may be too soon for you and your family to do that just yet, but soon enough it will bring you comfort. My daughter initially didn't want to talk about Chipmunk at all, and when we started telling funny Chipmunk stories, my daughter started crying. But pretty soon she was also laughing through the tears, remembering all the things that made Chipmunk our favorite.

I am truly sorry for your family's loss.
hugs.gif
We all understand here.

I wanted to write to say that my chickens and all of my animals mean the world to me - nobody can "replace" any that we lose - our emotions are raw and the heartache that comes with our loss is as great as anyone can feel - love comes in different guises and to me to lose any of my animals is as great as any other loss - I am a Mum ( Mom ) to my babies.

I am so sorry that my words offer no comfort other than to say that you have known real unconditional love - nurture your feelings - you are one very special person to love as deeply as you do about your animals!

In time for you and any one of us the great memories will outweigh the sadness at our losses - meantime - look after yourself.... we do care about you!

Suzie

Aww, so sorry for your loss! With tears in my eyes after reading your sweet post and sad loss, along with all of the others, I feel your pain
love.gif
and heartache. It is puzzling why some of the animals we care for don't make it, as you are a great caretaker. She was probably comforted to have your family nearby in her final hours! Very sweet!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom