I feel absolutely terrible!

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
Ugh! This hasn’t happened to me in the eight years I’ve raised ducks. I feel absolutely awful! I was putting away my call ducks while holding my 4 week old call ducklings and I dropped one of the ducklings, valentine, it fell about 3 feet onto the grass and landed on its back. I’m very scared I’ve injured it and I feel awful. I won’t try to carry them while I’m doing things anymore. She’s acting fine, running around, eating bugs, flapping her wings and doesn’t seem to be in any distress. Do you think I’ve hurt her? I examined her and she seems fine but I’m distraught. I’m so mad at myself right now... :he:fl:(

Most of the time the damage is seen right after the "trauma" so if she appears to be fine, I'd say she is going to be ok, but it wouldn't hurt to pay closer attention to her for the next day or two.
I'm sorry but cut yourself some slack, i can relate oddly enough with a call too but mine ended terribly... and i've been at this 9yrs.

From what you have described the baby sounds A-ok. It's so frustrating when things don't always go as we intend.
Thanks both of you. I just feel really bad. I know it was an accident but I don’t know how I did that... she appears ok. Here’s a video of her right now she’s the pied. She’s acting normal and I’ll definitely monitor her closely. I’m really hoping she’s alright. :hmm
@Going Quackers I’m sorry about your duckling. :hugs
I’m really hoping I didn’t injure her.

Morning update— little valentine seems alright this morning as well. She’s walking around, eating, drinking and pooping. She seems like she might be a little sore but that’s understandable. I’m hoping she’ll be alright. Nothing seems injured or broken.
From the video they look to be fine. Was that concrete? I would encourage them away from that...too hard on their little feet.

Really cut duckies! I agree with others, just keep an eye out.
Thanks for your help. No, it was the grass that she fell on. They only go on the concrete at night to catch bugs that land on the door. Bug catching usually lasts less than 10 minutes. The one that I accidentally dropped was the pied, she seems ok but I’m definitely keeping an eye out. I woke up periodically throughout the night to check her. I feel like a terrible duck mom and I’m hoping she’s ok. :(

Attachments

• 62F87767-6CF1-44C3-8A8A-1DF6A2195FF1.jpeg
    62F87767-6CF1-44C3-8A8A-1DF6A2195FF1.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom