I feel like a million bucks!Turkey coop pics added....MORE PICS

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
We FINALLY have the turkey poults outside! They are 9 weeks old...whew! I am soooo glad that I will never have to brood that many for that long again!
fl.gif
My DH is going to put the finishing touches on the coop tomorrow night but they were able to be moved out tonight...YAY! My turkeys can start acting like turkeys and be outside! Now i only have 3 ducklings and 27 chicks in brooders for another month...
th.gif

Good thing I love them so much!
I will post pics in a couple days of the new turkey coop

Last edited:
I'd love to see pics :) i just got 3 Royal Palm babies a few days ago, they're just 4 days old now. I've wanted them for so long and finally decided to just get them. I'm planning a 10'x35' ft run and am looking at everyone's pics trying to get idea for their coop and "furnishings". I fell madly in love with these guys! I don't care if they're male or female, I just want them to get along when they're grown.

Well I had ordered 18...I had 7 BR's (they sent an extra) 8 Narrs and 4 BS. I sold all the BR's so I now have 12.They have been in the house for 9 weeks in a large brooder. I will definitely post pics when the roosts are done and the other door.For tonight we slapped a piece of plywood (screwed in) to cover the hole where the 2 nd door will be but it worked for tonight !!
I'm hoping I have at least 2 toms of the Narrs...I need to post pics on here of all 12 so i can get input.Ideally I want 2 toms and 6 hens but ....that'd be awful lucky! I have 4 BS and think I only got 1 hen
sad.png
so I'll be keeping one hen and one tom and breeding next spring.Not sure exact dimensions on my run yet...but next weekend that will be done so I can let them out.I want them in the coop for a week to learn to roost there and not in the trees hopefully
smile.png

OP, such a great feeling!

I'm hoping for that feeling soon! My 4 week olds are huge; coop not done yet--too hot today to work on it--and so I continue to put them out in a run in the am and back in at dark. Can't use my kitchen because the lights keep them up and that means they hop out of the brooder to come visit!
barnie.gif

Quote:
I KNOW how you feel....I didn't want to keep them in quite this long! I do have a brooder that's quite large...here's a pic....they couldn't jump out but still...the smell as they get older and older..
sickbyc.gif
I am just too impulsive and bought them before being ready...*sigh* You would think I would have learned!And with 12 turkeys their age....this was getting cramped!(the chicks in the pic are chickens....just showing you the brooder pic)

57454_brooder_010.jpg

57454_brooder_012.jpg

I am going to go out and get pics of the coop as it is so far....but they are IN it!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I did the impulsive thing too--had a man coming to turn barn into coop--and now I have three seven-week-old poults in a rabbit hutch that's up off the ground. The man bailed but my uncle came to the rescue and the turkey run and pen should be done in a week tops. Even stagecrafting class in college didn't give me enough know-how to hammer a nail. One Tom is the same size as the hen but one is going to be huge! I can't wait to get them out in their run so the rabbits can move back outside!

CYG

Here it is so far...we need to build the other door tonight...and the roosts.Then of course I need to paint and shingle...but they are in it
smile.png
I will post pics after the roosts and such are done.
The run will be 6 foot high and covered...

57454_turkey_coop_001.jpg

57454_turkey_coop_002.jpg

57454_turkey_coop_003.jpg

The other side will be a matching door...

57454_turkey_coop_004.jpg

The inside so far...the roosts will should be in tonight...
fl.gif

57454_turkey_coop_005.jpg

57454_turkey_coop_006.jpg

57454_turkey_coop_007.jpg

I love it :) My husband can fix any car made but he can't nail 2 pieces of wood together and make them stick:( That's an awesome looking coop.
Those birds are 7 wks???? Mine are 5 days old, I better get going on some sort of turkey shelter. I don't have as long as I think.

What are the dimensions for your coop?

We're building a bigger coop for our chickens and I am undecided if I want the turkeys in with them or not.. so I need to gather some info just in case my husband and I decide to give them separate accommodations.
Mine are still on order from Porter's.. and I want to set some eggs soon.. I know we will be keeping one tom and a few hens depending on what we end up with..

Back
Top Bottom