I feel sooo terrible

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok I know this will sound stupid to a lot of people but I have NEVER killed anything intentionally in my life so I feel soooo guilty. Here is what happened. I set some Olive Egger and BCM eggs recently and have been having a terrible time with my incubator. I had the temp set and running for a week before the eggs came and had the incubator in a windowless temperature maintained room but the temps were all over the place.
barnie.gif
I had tried candling the eggs a few times and couldn't see anything at all and started to think that they had all died because the temps in the incubator kept jumping really high and then jumping really low. I decided to just sacrifice an egg and break it open to see if it was completely cooked or just bad. Well it was developing and the little heart was beating. I felt sooo bad afterwards. The poor little thing was trying to live and I killed it.
hit.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

Its okay .... Dont cry
sad.png
just wait out for the other eggs okay
thumbsup.gif

sometimes there is something but cant see it... I have a eggs like that now but I just gotta have hope that there is something in there. As long as the temp doesnt get too cold or too hot they should be fine. just not over 101 degress they should be fine. Just keep an eye on the temp .can you get ahold of another incubator or buy one???? I dont have a whole lot of experience when it come to hatching eggs this is my second attempt at hatching . I tried to hatch button quail and i wasnt patient with them either and well it didnt end well. Its okay though.. Dont worry just keep an eye out on the temp and lets see if these eggs hatch or not
big_smile.png

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

it will be okay .... I promise

I just feel so bad for the poor little thing. I thought for sure they were all dead, my incubator temps flew up to 103 at one point! It was all over the place. When my husband came home and saw me crying he asked me what was wrong and when I told him he just laughed and said "At least it wasn't one of the expensive eggs you bought." With my luck that will be the only egg that was developing and the rest will be dead.
th.gif

I am just going to completely ignore the incubator till I need to stop the turning on day 18. This is my first hatch and I am getting WAY to stressed out over it. The funny thing is that even if they all hatch (which I doubt) I can only keep a few of the chicks because I have to hide my chickens because I live in a city with an absurd ordinance.
hide.gif
So I really only need one or two olive egger and one of two BCMs to hatch, oh and they have to be girls.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I was checking some eggs a while back, and I dropped one while putting it back in the incubator. I had just candled the thing, and watched the little embryo floating merrily around, so full of life, and I killed it! I was so mad at myself I didn't know what to do! I have gotten over it, of course, and so will you, but I know you can really feel rotten for a while after something like that happens.

Bunnylady & Goth---neither of you did anything intentionally wrong, neither were you ignorantly neglectful.
love.gif

I beleive that a life is never lost in vain if you learn something from it. I did the same thing with my first batch of eggs and felt just horrible! What I learned from that one lost life, however, led to my leaving in eggs that I would have otherwise thrown out and, in turn, chicks survived that wouldn't have had it not been for that first mistake. You live and learn.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom