I finally built my coop thanks to all of you! LOTS of Pics!

This is the door I made to keep my chickens in the house at night. It’s on a string to be lowered at night to keep them ultra safe.
Door
11146_chickencoop2_009.jpg

I built the entire coop and run to be easy to open and clean. I remember as a boy, my grandfather always had chickens and it stunk so bad I was never interested in helping out! I want my coop clean and fresh so my kids aren’t turned off by the stink! The kids are very interested now and I want to keep their attention – a clean coop will do it! The roof and run opens on hinges, and the right side lifts off entirely so you can walk right in – this side is attached with window latches and 2x4’s to keep it secure.
Open
11146_chickencoop2_008.jpg

Here’s an interior look of the latches on the right side of the coop.
Latches
11146_chickencoop2_007.jpg

And here’s a close-up of the latches. There’s one on each side. They’re brass so they won’t rust.
Latch Close-up
11146_chickencoop2_004.jpg

Here’s what it look like with the roof and side open so I can walk in to clean the coop. I chose a dirt floor with pine shavings since it’s easier to rake or shovel to keep it clean.
Walk-in
11146_chickencoop2_006.jpg

When my chickens are ready to lay eggs, this is how I plan to collect eggs. The nesting boxes will be built right under the roof so my kids can just lift the roof to get the eggs… this will also prevent me from stooping over to get eggs myself!
Egg Collecting
11146_chickencoop2_005.jpg

I put a 1x2 in the coop for a perch… the cinder block is just there for them to stand on and hang out – I know it’s not fancy, but it’s stable for them to jump on and use it as a stepping stone to get on the high perch. The nesting boxes will be just below the high perch (thanks for the tip on this message board!)
Inside Perch
11146_chickencoop2_003.jpg

Here’s a close-up of the entire feeder. It’s almost 4’ tall and I used 4” PVC pipe. It holds a lot of food and there’s very little waste. I used a “door knob” drill bit to cut 2” holes on the bottom run of the PVC (it’s about 14” long). It’s slightly pitched to ensure the feed flows smoothly. It’s also not attached on the long side of the “L” so when the chickens sit on it, it moves and they don’t like that at all! So they get off the feeder!
Feeder
11146_chickencoop2_002.jpg

Here’s one more pic of the Exterior of the coop and the run. The whole project costs me about $260 in materials, 2 days of work with my 8-year old daughter, and over month of planning the details. For the wood and trim, I used “Smart” wood available at Lowes and Home Depot. It’s some sort of compressed board that’s already primed and weather resistant! The paneling (4’x8’ @ $16 per sheet, I used 3 sheets) comes in beige and the trim (1”x 4”x8’ @ $4 each) comes pre-primed in white! Very easy to use and perfect for a coop!
Exterior
11146_chickencoop2_001.jpg

Let me know if anyone has any questions or would like more details!

Quoted" I remember as a boy, my grandfather always had chickens and it stunk so bad I was never interested in helping out! I want my coop clean and fresh so my kids aren’t turned off by the stink! The kids are very interested now and I want to keep their attention – a clean coop will do it! "

I have to admit to fighting my husband on having chickens for the same reason you did not want to help your grandfather, I thought icky smelly nasty chickens. No way. I am a bit of a clean tidy type.
wink.png

I too feel that it can be done in an efficient, healthy clean non smelly nasty environment. It just takes the effort to do so. Setting up the coop and run is the key. Using feeders like you have to eliminate the waste and that also keeps away other preditors looking for food.
That along with pride of ownership is worth the added time, money and effort.

Laughing here thinking of the happy cows commercial. Happy chickens make better eggs.
lol.png
Another benefit is how the stigma of owning and raising chickens can be changed for the better, as long as people continue to do so as reflected in this thread. bravo...

Last edited:
I have taken a pic of the feeder we built out of PVC on Sat. I am waiting to install when I switch the babies over to a grower mixed with the starter they are still on.

I think it will save on the waste. Plus it will hold quite a bit of feed. We used a screw on top for easy access and filling.

Dilly

Last edited:
I love your coop, so cute and it blends in nicely. I might just have to steal your feeder Idea I love it!

was it hard to drill to PVC pipe?

Allright, I just have to say, that is the cutest coop ever! And I love all of the ingenious ideas! I actually called my husband in to look at the pictures, and he was impressed, too. The feeder is cool, as everyone has noted, and I bet I have all the materials that I need to make one, stashed right under the house.

Also, I love the sliding door. But my favorite things about your coop are the window latches. I have several small coops, and I haven't found a chicken door latch that I'm happy with. I'm going to try the window latches. Great idea.

Now, here is the highest praise I can give: If my Dad kept chickens, he would build a coop like yours. He is a tinkerer, and makes neat little contraptions out of strange things. Unfortunately, he's three states away, and that talent didn't transfer genetically!

Thanks for all the tips and compliments! I created my nesting boxes now too. Can't wait for the chickens to start laying!

Someone mentioned ventilation... I have something like a soffit vent under the far side of the roof covered in chicken wire. I'm hoping that works... if not, I'll have to cut something else in for ventilation.

Today, I'm putting a "skylight" in (away from the nesting boxes) so the girls have more light during the day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom