i finally got my coop built

taamator

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
montana
hi all
its been one hell of a summer helping mom with her projects and doing mine we finally got he coop done girls went thru a phase of moving from one hundred gallon water tub to dog pen with tarps and lights to a 16x9 garage door coop i shredded paper for my insulation in walls was cheaper took some time to do that with a 12 foot dog kennel for their run I just hope that the pictures are in my profile I will try load them here also

Last edited:
Looks like you worked really hard on your coop. I didn't see any windows, do you have some ventilation not shown in your photos (maybe it was there and I missed seeing)?

I like the fact that your coop is tall enough to stand upright in. I've seen some that are way short and I always wonder how folks are going to clean them out.

Sounds like you've had a busy summer, always a good feeling to wrap up projects!

yes I have vents on the east side and on the north side plus when I let the girls out I just leave the door open the vents are small so that I don't loose my heat my girls wont start laying till January and from what I have read it needs to be close 55 to 70 degrees so they will lay all winter at the end of the month I will be installing solar panels and solar heat so that I can have them off house power as it sits the coop worked pretty good our temperature got down to low 30sf and my coop stayed at 60f i have to prepare it for negs temperatures for my winters

yes I have vents on the east side and on the north side plus when I let the girls out I just leave the door open the vents are small so that I don't loose my heat my girls wont start laying till January and from what I have read it needs to be close 55 to 70 degrees so they will lay all winter at the end of the month I will be installing solar panels and solar heat so that I can have them off house power as it sits the coop worked pretty good our temperature got down to low 30sf and my coop stayed at 60f i have to prepare it for negs temperatures for my winters
Heating the coop is not necessary, ventilation is much more important. Good article on ventilation in my signature just below this post.

What is your climate? You can put your location in your profile, will help folks give more viable suggestions.

Love the use of garage door panels for construction...where did you get so many of them?!

hello all
I have my venting under eve style where I left the openings open and blocked the flow on the inside but left the ceiling open so that it can use natural draft out that way of venting also so that there wasn't away for water to get inside I will go get pictures later today

this is the vent hole on the east side from inside the coop

this is how I vented my coop on the north side of the coop outside looks like this

this is the inside so other birds cant get in so I left open gaps

I also leave the door open all day so the air can get in the coop I am thinking about this winter I will cut a hole in the bottom of the door so they can come out in the coop run

Last edited:
Can't tell from the pictures but I hope you have some hardware cloth(wire) covering your ventilation holes so no predators can get in.

I love the size and the garage door panels!

Back
Top Bottom