1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I finally started on my coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Casey, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Casey

Casey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I started on my coop and run today. I moved the run (dog kennel) where it will be for the chickens. And I framed up the coop. I still have to put siding on the coop and fix up the inside a little. But it won't be long now!!!!!

The coop is 4'x4' and it is 4' tall in the front and 2' tall in the back. I also raised it 2' off the ground. The kennel that I am using for the run is about 7x12 and 6' tall. I haven't decided what kind of roof will be on the run. Either just chainlink or a solid roof.

Let me know what you think of it so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    hat is awsome looking job, I betie the weather is helping you where you live,here in KY it is rainy cold and not fun to be outside.
    hey keep us updated with pictures.

Merry Christmas.

Omran.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So far, it's great!

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Looks nice so far. [​IMG]

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Casey, looks good so far. Make sure you bury wire around the bottom of the run on the outside about 2 feet down to keep predators from digging under the panels of the dog run.

It looks like the top of the Coop is slighty above the top of the fencing. You might want to consider covering the back half of the run with solid material and then leave the front 6 feet with just a wire covering so that in bad weather the chickens have some place dry to be and also with a solid back half they will have shade during the summer months. If you live in a place where it gets really hot during the summer months then the additional covering over the coop will help keep the coop cool.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great start.

If it were me, I'd put it in the corner. Make certain you have a roost the 4 or 5 hens can get on. I'd put linoleum on the floor for easy cleaning. I'd put a couple of nest boxes with lids you can lift from either the outside of the coop in the run OR you could put the coop next to the run in the corner and cut some of the chain link in that area so that you can access the nest boxes from outside the run.

Again, you'll have a great little chicken operation running there soon.

And as my dad always used to say when we would work on holidays..."The better the day, the better the deed."

7. Casey

Casey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Great suggestions! I will incorporate them into the coop and run. Thanks!

8. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    Looks great.!!![​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

9. countrygirl_247

countrygirl_247 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Well actually if it were me i'd put the whole coop on the outside of the run then the chickens could have more room which ='s more chickens:clap. Then you could put doors for the nests & could access them easily. Great job:thumbsup

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Looks great so far. Ive got some chainlink dog kennels too that Im gonna set up for coops and runs. For chickens and possibly some pheasants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by