I find this disturbing...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I was doing some research last night, I wanted to find if canada geese stay with the same flock during migration. I never really found an answer, but I found a story from July where somebody (or somebodies) had chased some geese off of a pond, beat them, and shot them in the head. Then I found an August story where somebody sped up their vehicle to run into a bunch of geese on the road. The most disturbing part was reading the reader comments at the end, about 90% of the people that commented didn't see a problem with it, a lot of them saying that more people should do things like that. Just sad...

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they are going to eat what they killed, I don't have a problem with it.

If they are killing them for fun, I certainly DO have a problem with it! [​IMG]

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    That is just so stupid!!!!

What really gets my goat is when i see a holes that have SWERVED past the white line to run over a snapping turtle that is older than their grandfather!!!!! [​IMG]

I hit a turkey on accident with my hhr and it left a huge dent in the front just from its head!!! Why cant one of these geese go through someones windshield!

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    That is disturbing. To say the least! I can't imagine just needlessly violently killing an animal (and I was raised on a farm so I am no stranger to processing or culling animals). I would feel sick with myself if I did something like that even with the Canada Geese being the major nightmare/nuisance they can be. In years past, we have dealt with sometimes having a hundred of them at a time in our front yard/street/driveway. They poop so much that it is just insanity. You can't help but drive through it and then it wreaks to high heaven outside and in the garage. This year, we did not have nearly as many in our neighborhood (not sure if they culled some or what). I still just don't get inhumanely attacking them though.

5. mangled

mangled Songster

There has been problems with kids killing Canadian geese around here for the past few years. It's like a sick game or something.

I think a lot of people look at the geese as a nuisance animal, therefore lowering their importance. I understand they can be a nuisance, but just killing them for fun is ridiculous.

Em

6. Lynette

Lynette Songster

When I hear of the stupidity and the cruelty that some people do, it makes me angry! [​IMG] To do something to a defenseless animal on purpose is sick! I could tell you what I think of people like that but I can't swear on here.

7. Frosty

Frosty Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Half of what got me was all of the comments saying that it's a good thing. If the geese are over populated, why don't they trap them, butcher them and feed the needy? And or take a page from the BLM Adopt-a-horse program and do an Adopt-a-goose program? If they would have just shot the geese it would be one thing, but beat them and run over them? I guess two of the hit and run geese were placed in rehab.

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

I hate to get stuck defending the indefensible, but the geese really are a problem, especially as a hazard to low-flying aircraft. I certainly DON'T agree with killing them for no reason, but their population desperately needs to be reduced. I like the idea of butchering them as food, but that sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I don't know. Just my thoughts, any and all corrections are welcome (provided they are friendly!).

9. Telamon

Telamon Songster

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    same with chickens, people don't care EVER!!! i think those people should be sent to prison for more than 90 years! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

some stupid people kill animals for fun... i just wanna do this to them: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would think that a poll can be twisted any which way. If you take the poll at a bar with a group of drunks trying to out do each other, I could see the group saying lets kill the geese and who cares. If you took the same poll at a PETA conference, it would guarantee the opposite response. You could play the same scenario out with teenagers ask a group of boys trying to out do each other for the grossest story or ask the girls with cute outfits at the mall. It is always harder to figure out why a story is written. So what the poll all really says is maybe something about the writer, and what their view was, while they were trying to sway the audience. It maybe that the writer wants to shock the reader so that there will be a great outcry of injustice against animals, or the opposite and they just don't care much for geese, because they hate the goose for pooping in the park where they stepped in it. Or what the writer is selling, and yes a lot of writers are selling something. They are often paid by advertisers or they are selling their work to the highest bider. Clearly there are those that are writing on forums, but most of us are not trying to shock each other with the meanest animal story here. Yes it is awful that birds are not being considered as living things. Yes the does seem to be people that are callous and cruel. We don't make anything different by being shocked by that fact. We make things different by doing things. That would explain why there are animal cruelty laws. I have known some hunters that have the attitude 'if it moves kill it" and others that will only kill to feed themselves, and use all of the animal not just the choicest parts. That is a big range of opinion. One of the only things that I can do about it is teach the younger generation the difference, and hope they make good decisions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by