I forgot my eggs overnight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wild chick, Mar 27, 2018.

1. wild chick

wild chick Songster

I collected my eggs yesterday evening & left the basket on my porch being sidetracked by other things. Short story, it was about 25 F. last night on the porch thermometer. Continue on with eggs like nothing happened? Eat right away, feed to pets, hard boil only? Thanks in advance!

2. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    They're fine. Bring them in and put them in the fridge so that they can slowly warm up to fridge temp, then eat starting tomorrow. If any are cracked, feed them back to pets.

wild chick likes this.
  3. JesusHChicken

JesusHChicken Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    Kitsap County, WA
    My Coop
    They're safe to eat. Eggs not washed have a protective bloom. They can keep at room temp for weeks.

wild chick likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Agree, they are fine. I pitch any that are cracked, or partially frozen. If they look fine when opened, it's good.
    Mary

5. Angela Thomson

Angela Thomson Songster

Aug 6, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I 'float test' my eggs if I forget them in the basket, which happens a lot!!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I don't rely on a float test; if I find a hidden nest (yesterday, for example!) all those eggs get thrown out. It's just not worth it to me to take chances, and really spoiled eggs smell amazingly bad.
    Mary

wild chick, aart and Mosey2003 like this.
  7. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    The only thing a float test will tell you is if an egg is old enough to have lost enough moisture to float. You can leave an egg in a hot dirty nest for three days and it won't float, but it could be teeming with bacteria. I don't eat anything questionable. On the other hand, my birds don't range the whole farm and they all lay in clean nest boxes and I collect daily, so I really never have an issue, by design.

wild chick and aart like this.
  8. redsix

redsix Chirping

Feb 14, 2015
    Virginia
    Continue like nothing happened.u

wild chick likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oops!
    As long as they didn't crack, they'll be fine for you to eat.
    Yolks might be a funky texture, so scrambling might best,
    rather than poached, over easy, etc.

wild chick likes this.
  10. wild chick

wild chick Songster

Thanks for all your replies. I knew they weren't bad, just wasn't sure what freezing would do to them. I whipped them up in a frittata the next day. Some of the yolks were a little wrinkled, but scrambled up with potatoes and roasted red peppers and cheese, baked in an iron skillet, I would never have guessed they'd been frozen overnight. I did put them in the fridge so they wouldn't warm up too fast & I did check for cracks (there were none).

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: